[comp.virus] virus symptoms

KILLIAN@steffi.acc.uncg.edu (The Mad Doctor) (03/15/90)

>>   I have a game called Hybris. After playing this for a while, the
>>   screen will "fuzz", what I mean is that the graphics seem to get
>>   confused and all I see is one big blur on the screen. I have
>>   tried this with two independent disks of the game (ie: I borrowed
>>   them from two different people). This may or may not have anything
>>   to do with the blanking.
>
>I'm not familiar with the Amiga, but it is known that some programs
>that directly program the video hardware do so incorrectly, leaving
>the video signal in an "undefined" or "marginal" state.  This could
>cause problems of the sort that you describe (by the way, this could
>also lead to permanent damage of the monitor).
>Acknowledge-To: <SYKLB@NASAGISS>

I've never heard of it leaving permanent damage to the monitor; if
this is what I think it is, the problem is in the sprite registers.
If it's the moving graphics that are being scrambled, this is probably
what's occurring.  Just load up Preferences and move the screen a
little to the right or left until it corrects itself.

spenser@ficc.uu.net (Spenser Aden) (03/16/90)

SYKLB@NASAGISS.BITNET (Ken Bell) writes:
>>   I have a game called Hybris. After playing this for a while, the
>>   screen will "fuzz", what I mean is that the graphics seem to get
>>   confused and all I see is one big blur on the screen. I have
>>   tried this with two independent disks of the game (ie: I borrowed
>>   them from two different people). This may or may not have anything
>>   to do with the blanking.

Are you running an A1000 with 256K RAM?  The symptoms you're
describing sound a lot like what happens when code was written under
the assumption that the machine would have 512K of chip RAM, and when
it tries to use memory that it doesn't have, the screen "freaks out",
and the graphics are sometimes sort-of distinguishable, but only
because you know what it should look like.

This may not be a virus.  Try the same software on an A500 or A2000
(but cold-boot the machine, and don't put any other disks in, and
power-down afterward ... just in case!  Try to avoid testing on a
system with a hard drive attached.)

- -Spenser
- --
S. Spenser Aden   (713) 274-5000 |
Ferranti International Controls  |
spenser@ficc.uu.net              | "And you were just ... a face in the crowd."
Only my opinions, not Ferranti's.|       -Tom Petty