[comp.virus] Stoned disinfection information

DEVMTG12@SAKFU00.BITNET (MUSTAFA T. ALGHAZAL) (03/19/90)

To all virus experts,
     One of our systems here at SAKFU00 was infected by the STONED virus.
     I remember that I read a note about how to remove this virus from a
     hard disk ,but the writer was refering to some issues of COMPUTER
     & SECURITY which we were not able to get.
     If any of you knows step by step instructions to remove that virus,He
     (or she) will be thankfull to send it to me directly or to the list.

         Mustafa ALGhazal ( DEVMTG12@SAKFU00.BITNET)
         Academic Services Manager
         King Faisal Univ.
         Saudi Arabia

gm@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gary Mathews) (03/21/90)

DEVMTG12@SAKFU00.BITNET (MUSTAFA T. ALGHAZAL) writes:
>To all virus experts,
>     One of our systems here at SAKFU00 was infected by the STONED virus.
>     I remember that I read a note about how to remove this virus from a
>     hard disk ,but the writer was refering to some issues of COMPUTER
>     & SECURITY which we were not able to get.
>     If any of you knows step by step instructions to remove that virus,He
>     (or she) will be thankfull to send it to me directly or to the list.
>
>         Mustafa ALGhazal ( DEVMTG12@SAKFU00.BITNET)
>         Academic Services Manager
>         King Faisal Univ.
>         Saudi Arabia

You could remove the stoned virus with McAfee's clean program or more
simply, by booting off a clean dos disk and use the sys command to
transfer a new copy of the MS-DOS system onto the hard disk.

	1) boot system on a clean disk
	2) sys c:
	3) "Stoned" virus is gone !

That's all.

-
Gary Jason Mathews      | gm@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
Columbia University     | Death is life's way of telling you you've been fired.
- ------------------------+ CPU time flies when you have a lot of bugs