[comp.virus] Loophole in VIREX 2.6?

David_Conrad%Wayne-MTS@um.cc.umich.edu (04/12/90)

Mr. James M. Vavrina writes:
>From:    SDSV%ISEC-OA@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.Edu
>Subject: False Indications from VIREX 2.5.1 (MAC)
>
>HJC Software, authors of VIREX Virus Detection Software, has confirmed
>a bug in their software version 2.5.1, ALL software written in
>QuickBasic will give you a false msg of a Trojan Horse being detected.
>HJC Software will be releasing version 2.6 shortly which will correct
>this problem.  It will be sent to all registered users.

   I wonder if this is a problem with VIREX or an anomaly in QuickBasic?
It could be the case that, in the future, any trojan which emulates the
structure of a QB object will be passed over by VIREX, creating a loophole
similar to the one created by checking the "Always Compile MPW INITs" box
in Vaccine.

| David R. Conrad           (preferred) dconrad%wayne-mts@um.cc.umich.edu |
| /\/\oore Soft\/\/are                  dave@thundercat.com               |
| Disclaimer: No one necessarily shares my views, but anyone is free to.  |