[comp.virus] Death of a Virus

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (04/07/90)

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) writes:
>Dave Ihnat <ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us> writes:
>
>> elimination of the conditions that lead to viruses basically means
>> redesigning the computers that are attacked to eliminate the
>> simplistic hardware model that allows full access to the single user.
>
>Unfortunately, viruses do not depend on this hardware model; viruses
>can spread in any system that allows both programming and information
>sharing, regardless of whether or not programs have direct access to
>the hardware, whether or not the system is assumed to be single-user,
>and so on.  See various papers by Fred Cohen on the subject.  As long
>as (roughly) some programs sometimes have write-access to some other
>programs, viruses can spread.
>
>Dave Chess
>IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

 Yes dave but under environments which use say the VM8086 model on the
386 (such as VPIX) file writability and/or hardware acces is TOTALLY
under the control of unix... weak unix security weak dos security good
unix security = good dos security in this case....
     cheers
     kelly

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) (04/10/90)

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) writes, apparently in response
to a posting of mine:

> Yes dave but under environments which use say the VM8086 model on
> the 386 (such as VPIX) file writability and/or hardware acces is
> TOTALLY under the control of unix...  weak unix security weak dos
> security good unix security = good dos security in this case....

My point was that putting file access under the control of the
operating system *doesn't help*, at least not as much as people
generally assume.  Viruses spread by writing to files that they are
*allowed* to write to; they don't depend on a lack of security.  If
most programs have write access to only a few other programs, viruses
may not be able to spread as fast; but lowering the exponent on an
exponential spread helps surprisingly little.

Now of course this may be what you were saying; I'm not entirely sure
I understand the posting...

DC

HORN%HYDRA@sdi.polaroid.com (04/10/90)

A more accurate analogy might be the introduction of clean water
systems rather than the elimination of smallpox.  The widespread use
of modern operating systems with memory and device protection will
greatly hinder the spread of viruses, but by no means prevent their
spread.  I can think of methods to implement Unix and VM viruses.
Most of these depend upon sloppy system administration methods for
rapid spreading, but at least for now sloppy administration is the
norm.  Some of these have been demonstrated by attacks like the
Internet Worm.  But with a more modern hardware and operating system
it is much harder to spread and easier to cure.  This is similar to
what you find today with water-borne diseases.  Typhoid, cholera, and
dysentery are by no means eliminated in the US, but they are no longer
a normal cause of death.  They promptly return after disasters break
down the water systems (well cholera is still rare, but would recur if
the breakdowns lasted long enough).

Probably the greatest strength of most current systems is the
diversity of hardware and operating system revisions.  This forces the
use of source (non-executable) for most inter-machine transfers and
greatly hinders the spread of viruses and worms.  The strong
commercial push for standard binary interfaces is a danger in that it
will greatly increase the size of the computer population that is
vulnerable to any one specific attack.

R Horn  horn%hydra@polaroid.com

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (04/11/90)

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) writes:
>Unfortunately, viruses do not depend on this hardware model; viruses
>can spread in any system that allows both programming and information
>sharing, regardless of whether or not programs have direct access to
>the hardware, whether or not the system is assumed to be single-user,
>and so on.  See various papers by Fred Cohen on the subject.  As long
>as (roughly) some programs sometimes have write-access to some other
>programs, viruses can spread.
>Dave Chess
>IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

As a practical matter, I was trying to not go into a lecture on the
differences between the hardware and software models you bring up.
But the baseline is this: All of the single-user machines which are
currently the major targets of viral attack provide NO hardware model
which allows preemptive control by the OS or monitor of program access
to memory or hardware.  Thus, in such systems, it is categorically
impossible to provide a reliably virus-free environment.

Systems which provide the underlying hardware CAN be made much more
secure.  In this environment, it is still possible to improperly use
the provided capabilities and thus grant unauthorized access; but this
is not a case of CAN be secure, but DIDN'T make it secure but had the
capability.  As a real- world example, Unix and VMS systems don't see
the widespread attacks that single-user systems such as the PC and Mac
have "enjoyed."  Attacks on such multi-user/multi-tasking systems that
are successful invariably result from either errors in the protection
mechanisms (usually, not the hardware itself, but rather the operating
system which utilizes it) or errors in application of the provided
protections, either by programmers (privileged programs that don't
properly control access, etc.), or by administrators and users who
don't use such capabilities as ACL's and file permission settings.

So the point I was making is that in an environment which doesn't even
provide underlying hardware support for protection, it's impossible to
make a secure, safe system no matter how good you are in software
development.  Having the hardware, however, does not guarantee such
security; but id does make it possible.

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (04/13/90)

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) writes:
>kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) writes, apparently in response
>to a posting of mine:
>
>> Yes dave but under environments which use say the VM8086 model on
>> the 386 (such as VPIX) file writability and/or hardware acces is
>> TOTALLY under the control of unix...  weak unix security weak dos
>> security good unix security = good dos security in this case....
>
>My point was that putting file access under the control of the
>operating system *doesn't help*, at least not as much as people
>generally assume.  Viruses spread by writing to files that they are
>*allowed* to write to; they don't depend on a lack of security.  If
>most programs have write access to only a few other programs, viruses
>may not be able to spread as fast; but lowering the exponent on an
>exponential spread helps surprisingly little.
>
>Now of course this may be what you were saying; I'm not entirely sure
>I understand the posting...
>
>DC

Well close dave what I was referring to is the running of DOS programs
in a virtual environment and preventing access to hardware models or
real "Anything..." Viruses written to attack MS-DOS only or the
Hardware model under which MS-DOS functions will fail to infect under
such an environment.... That is what I was trying to say... of course
the platform itself is vunerable to infections native to it...*nix
that is...  so the security is only for now(i.e. temporary..)
   cheers
   kelly