[comp.virus] Are BBS's primary vectors?

USERGSVE@LNCC.BITNET (George Svetlichny) (05/23/90)

In Virus-l 3/100, woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker) writes:

> BBs's are one of the primary vectors for viruses. Joe Bugger leaves an
> infected file on a bbs.  Ike Innocent downloads it, and gives a copy
> to someone.  Then he runs it, and BINGO...infection city.

Is there any hard evidence for this? Does anyone know of *any*
infection spread from a BBS download? Or is this one of those virus
myths that sounds satisfying in a folk-lore sort of way without any
real basis in facts?

Where I live there are few BBS's (I access several.) and few virus types
(I'm responsible for keeping my department's computers clean.) and I'm
quite sure that the viruses I've seen did not come from the BBS's.

It seems to me most sysops are conscientious about checking the files
their users upload, and BBS users are among the most aware about virus
problems and their solutions.

A *primary* vector? I seriously doubt it.

 George Svetlichny                 |
 Department of Mathematics         |  This is here so as not to say
 Pontificia Universidade Catolica  |  that this space was intentionally
 Rio de Janeiro, Brasil            |  left blank.
 usergsve@lncc.bitnet              |