[comp.virus] virii vs. viruses

jsdy@hadron.COM (Joseph S. D. Yao) (05/26/90)

I write:
>swimmer@fbihh.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Morton Swimmer) writes:
>>Hey, what's up? I thought it was an established convention to speak of
>>_viruses_ and not _virii_.
>
>"Virii" is what's known as a "pseudo-learned" form.  ...

I'm embarrassed.  And "pseudo-learned."  I was sure that I remembered
that "slime, poison" was Latin "virus (long i), virus (long i & u)",
in the fourth Latin declension of nouns.  [The first form is
nominative singular, the second is genitive singular, and determines
which declen- sion the word is in.]  This was partly because there
already is a "vir, viri (long second i)" in the second declension.  It
turns out that the word "virus (long i)" is also in the second
declension, confusingly enough.  That means that the genitive
singular, nominative plural, and accusative plural are all "viri (both
long i's)".

Confusing?  I agree (I guess obviously).  "Viri" is a valid Latin
plural for "virus" (not "virii").  It doesn't quite sound right in
English, though.  I'll just vote for "viruses" and leave it at that.

English is a living language.  Things like the plural of "virus" will,
ultimately, be determined by what people want to use and do use, not
pedantry such as I've been playing with.

;-{

[Ed. Please see my note on this subject later in this digest.]

	Joe Yao				jsdy@hadron.COM
	( jsdy%hadron.COM@{uunet.UU.NET,decuac.DEC.COM} )
	arc,arinc,att,avatar,blkcat,cos,decuac,\
	dtix,ecogong,grebyn,inco,insight,kcwc,  \
	lepton,lsw,netex,netxcom,phw5,research,  >!hadron!jsdy
	rlgvax,seismo,sms,smsdpg,sundc,telenet, /
	uunet				       /
(Last I counted ...)