Date: Sun, 20 May 90 14:25:39 PDT
From: rjoconnor@cdp.uucp (Rory J. O'Connor)
Subject: Military Computer Virus Contract (RISKS-9.92)

I'm the reporter at the San Jose Mercury News who wrote the story on the Army's
SBIR proposal regarding computer viruses. I feel I must respond to the charge
made by Mr. Jim Vavrina of the Army Information Systems Software Center that I
mis-identified myself while researching the story. That assertion is false.

At all times, as is standard practice among professional journalists, I made it
clear to everyone I called or interviewed that I was a newspaper reporter
working on a story about this proposal. When I reached a woman named Joyce
Crisci at Ft. Monmouth, NJ, who identified herself as the project
administrator, I identified myself as a reporter. When she attempted to tell me
how to apply for the available funds, I felt she might have failed to
understand that, so I again told her I was a reporter working on a story for my
newspaper. She then answered most of my questions, but made it clear she would
not discuss any technical details nor provide me with the names of the
engineers who had written the project. The reason, she said, was that if such
information appeared in my story, it could prejudice the bidding process.

Indeed, at the conclusion of our interview, she verified the spelling of her
name and gave me her (rather complicated) mailing address and requested I send
her a copy of the article when it appeared in the newspaper.

I'm sorry Mr. Vavrina never called me to ask my side of the story about this
interview. If Mr. Vavrina thinks my story about the virus was in some way
factually incorrect, or did not fully describe the Army's project or reasoning,
I'd be happy to talk to him about it. I can be reached at (408) 920-5019, or at
MCI Mail mailbox 361-2192, or at the San Jose Mercury News, 750 Ridder Park
Drive, San Jose, CA 95190. Anyone else who would  like to discuss this story,
or the topic of computer viruses in general, may also contact me there.

Rory J. O'Connor, Computing Editor, San Jose Mercury News