[comp.virus] How to reset CMOS configuration that prevents booting?

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (05/27/90)

I've managed to do something truly bizarre to my computer. :)

I have a '386 motherboard with lots of Chips and Technologies stuff on
it. At boot time, I have the option to run setup/extended setup. While
trying to do something, I managed to alter the settings in 'extended
setup' part (the bits in various 'C&T CMOS registers') in such a
manner that the machine will no longer boot; when I reset it, it goes
beep-beep-beep pause beep-beep-beep...

Of course my initial reaction was to try to disconnect the battery and
let the CMOS memory clear itself; alas, it doesn't seem to be possible
on this motherboard!!! (Or at least I don't see how). It's got a
10-year rechargeable battery that's evidently soldered to the board.
Whatever skimpy documentation there is does not deal with the question
of disconnecting the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all??? This is a fascinating
problem, variants of this have been undoubtedly discussed here in the
past (what would happen if the configuration settings were damanged
not ny the bumbling owner, but by a malevolent Trojan Horse; what
would happen if you forgot the password on a PS/2). I will not be able
to reach the person who sold me the board until Monday, and I'm wide
open for suggestions.

Thanks,
Dimitri Vulis
Department of Mathematics
City University of New York Graduate Center

Proud owner of RUSTEX-L, the Russian TeX and Soviet E-mail mailing list

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (06/06/90)

CCBOBVER@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz.au writes:
>> manner that the machine will no longer boot; when I reset it, it goes
>> beep-beep-beep pause beep-beep-beep...
>
>	The three beeps seem to indicate a memory error.  You may have
>	done some unintentional mods to your memory configuration on the
>	motherboard.  Any PC will not boot if it either finds an error in
>	the first 16KB of RAM or cannot locate it as this is usually where
>	it tries to load the startup BIOS.

Just within the last 5 days my Zeos 386 w/AMI Bios has started this same
pattern of three beeps.  The AMI documentation says this means an error
in the first 64K. A few other facts:

  - seems to happen when I first boot the machine after being off many hours
  - repeated cold boots eventually resulted in a successful boot
  - replacing all simms (4mb) had no affect on the problem (but I do
    now have a total of 8Mb of memory, good excuse to buy!)
  - using the hardware reset switch clears the problem immediately
  - the only system changes in this period was to add an internal MNP modem

I am still playing with the problem, but anyone with more insight into the
meaning of the 3 beeps, or why the reset switch would work differently than
power on/off, please offer up your insights.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

CCBOBVER@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz.au (06/06/90)

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET writes:
> I've managed to do something truly bizarre to my computer. :)
>
> I have a '386 motherboard with lots of Chips and Technologies stuff on
> it. At boot time, I have the option to run setup/extended setup. While
> trying to do something, I managed to alter the settings in 'extended
> setup' part (the bits in various 'C&T CMOS registers') in such a
> manner that the machine will no longer boot; when I reset it, it goes
> beep-beep-beep pause beep-beep-beep...
> Thanks,
> Dimitri Vulis

	The three beeps seem to indicate a memory error.  You may have
	done some unintentional mods to your memory configuration on the
	motherboard.  Any PC will not boot if it either finds an error in
	the first 16KB of RAM or cannot locate it as this is usually where
	it tries to load the startup BIOS.

	Regards Robert,
	(University of QLD)