[comp.virus] clearing ps/2 pw, faces on screen

GLWARNER@SAMFORD.BITNET (The.Gar) (06/01/90)

Dimitri -
    I can't help you with your problem, other than to tell you that
IBM's recommended procedure for a forgotten password USED TO BE to
remove the battery from the motherboard (I had an original PS/2 70.)
THIS HAS CHANGED, however, and they now have a "trick" that let's you
quickly clear the password.  What one is now able to do, is unplug the
speaker connector from the bus adapter card, and plug it in in the
opposite direction.  PRESTO! Your password is cleared!
    I REALLY doubt this would work on non-IBM hardware, though.

Joest@DD0RUD81 -
    What you describe sounds very much like a practical joke program
that I have seen a dozen times around campus.  It is called FACES, and
is quite small  (about 3K I believe.)  What I would ask you to check is
whether your program does in fact set the KEYBOARD=GR?  If it does not
I would suggest that someone modified the FACES program to make it smaller
and has simply renamed it and copied it over your other program.

Later
THE GAR

mike@client1.DRETOR (Mike Cummings ) (06/06/90)

GLWARNER@SAMFORD.BITNET (The.Gar) writes:
>Dimitri -
>    I can't help you with your problem, other than to tell you that
>IBM's recommended procedure for a forgotten password USED TO BE to
>remove the battery from the motherboard (I had an original PS/2 70.)
>THIS HAS CHANGED, however, and they now have a "trick" that let's you
>quickly clear the password.  What one is now able to do, is unplug the
>speaker connector from the bus adapter card, and plug it in in the

	It seems to me that this is also a new way to compromise the
security of IBM equipment.  A better, more secure method of dealing
with the problem (ie. not a "trick") should be found and implemented.

- ---->  mike%zorac@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca