[comp.virus] VIRUS-L Digest V3 #109

VALDIS@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Valdis Kletnieks) (06/08/90)

>GLWARNER@SAMFORD.BITNET (The.Gar) writes:
>
>   It seems to me that this is also a new way to compromise the
>security of IBM equipment.  A better, more secure method of dealing
>with the problem (ie. not a "trick") should be found and implemented.

I will overlook the fact that in order to reverse the speaker wires etc,
it looks to me that you have to physically open the case.  At this point,
what's to stop the person from whatever he feels like?

"Security" doesn't mean much when the guy has already opened the box up
and is able to physically abuse the silicon.  You got a hard disk?  He can
REPLACE it with a (almost identical, but infected) copy.  You got a hardware
security module?  That can be ripped out.  And so on...

What is making the guy wait 20 mins buying you security-wise?  Do you have
a security guard who walks by every 15 minutes?  If so, you're probably a
site that has heavy duty security - why is an unknown person walking around
unescorted?  And if there's NOT a security guard walking by every 15
minutes, then most likely if the guy has enough time to rip it open, he
won't be bothered during a further 20 minute wait.

                                   Valdis Kletnieks
                                   Computer Systems Engineer
                                   Virginia Tech