[comp.virus] Outsmarting checksums

T530083@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Dmitri Schoeman) (07/24/90)

If the anti virus programs would first perform a checksum, then
couldn't a virus "outsmart" that program by just changing one (non
executiong) byte in it's source?

- -----Dmitri Schoeman

ewiles@netxcom.DHL.COM (Edwin Wiles) (07/26/90)

T530083@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Dmitri Schoeman) writes:
>If the anti virus programs would first perform a checksum, then
>couldn't a virus "outsmart" that program by just changing one (non
>executiong) byte in it's source?
>
>- -----Dmitri Schoeman

The problem with this is that most viri must be fairly small in size
to have a reasonable chance of going undetected.  A virus capable of
regenerating the checksum would have to A) know where the checksum
was being stored, B) know how the checksum was calculated, C) have the
same checksum calculating code within itself, and D) have a sufficient
number of "non-executing" bytes imbedded within itself to make whatever
adjustment was necessary to the checksum (I'm not sure one is sufficient).

Using something like "snefru" (a checksum calculator that apparently
generates a very large and reliable checksum) would make this virtually
impossible.  The virus would be almost the same size as the "snefru"
program itself!  The "snefru" program that I have here is over 27K.

Don't ask me for SNEFRU, it was posted in either comp.sources.misc
or comp.sources.unix within this year.  Go check either those groups
or your local archiving site(s).

I WILL IGNORE ANY SNEFRU REQUESTS!
- --
					Edwin Wiles.