[comp.virus] Philosophy

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (07/31/90)

Bill Murray writes:

>People who intend to ship tens of thousands of copies of the same floppy
>have a SPECIAL OBLIGATION to ensure that they are clean.

	Since the USA is the most lawyer-heavy country in the world,
for some time I have been expecting a civil suit to result from someone
who should have known better shipping a virus. Once this happens, there
will probably be a mad scramble by software houses to CYA, a new breed
of malpractise insurance will be created, a new clause will appear in
govenment boilerplate, & software screening of distributions will become
standard. All adding cost.

	Next, statutes will be enacted requiring labeling of re-shrink-
wrapped software, software prices will increase dramatically, & the
industry will experience another recession.

	Of course, by then the Lotus "look and feel" suit may have
made it impossible to sell new software (in 1966 by Government decree
the "look & feel" of automobile and motorcycle controls were
standardized as a safety measure. Then it was considered desirable for
everyone to be the same - Harley-Davidson had to move the gear shift
from the left to the right foot to match the Japanese - now, doing
this for software may be illegal).

	These are the good old days.

					Padgett