[comp.virus] Site licenses

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) (08/01/90)

We have been thinking about standardizing on a virus
scanner/disinfector for our organization. We have about 1500 users.

Our vision is to have a scanner/disinfector package available
to the PC support analysts and have them use it on suspicious
machines or perform random audits.

I have been thinking about purchasing a Service Industry
License from McAfee Associates. The total package would cost
about $6800.00 for (20 copies). This license would allow us
to perform checks on various machines, however, the software
must not remain with the clients.

Has anyone one else in the corporate arena implemented such a
policy/structure?

Don Kazem
National Academy of Sciences
DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET

frotz%drivax@uunet.uu.net (Frotz) (08/03/90)

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) writes:
] We have been thinking about standardizing on a virus
] scanner/disinfector for our organization. We have about 1500 users.

	We have about 200.

] Our vision is to have a scanner/disinfector package available
] to the PC support analysts and have them use it on suspicious
] machines or perform random audits.

We intend to put dedicated PC class machines (no or very *tiny* hard
disk ~10M) in stations around the company.  We can do this because we
have so many of these low class machines practically lying around.
These machines would contain one of these licensed disinfectants and
would provide local access to the latest disinfectant and would allow
users to easily check software that has come in from questionable
sources (e.g. BBS' or via Tech Support...)

] I have been thinking about purchasing a Service Industry
] License from McAfee Associates.

It has been suggested that we do this as well.  I am still evaluating
other resources (e.g. This newsgroup.) before I commit to doing this,
though I agree that it is very cost effective (psychologically to
upper management) to have direct associations with McAfee Associates.

] Has anyone one else in the corporate arena implemented such a
] policy/structure?

We are in the very early stages of defining and implementing this.
Will post more as I get a better handle on things.
- --
John "Frotz" Fa'atuai	frotz%drivax@uunet.uu.net	(email@domain)
Digital Research, Inc.	{uunet|amdahl}!drivax!frotz	(bang!email)
c/o MIS Dept.		(408) 647-6570			(vmail)
80 Garden Court, C13	(408) 649-3896			(phone)
Monterey, CA  93940	(408) 646-6248			(fax)

aslakson@uunet.UU.NET (Brian Aslakson) (08/03/90)

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) writes:

>We have been thinking about standardizing on a virus
>scanner/disinfector for our organization. We have about 1500 users.

>Our vision is to have a scanner/disinfector package available
>to the PC support analysts and have them use it on suspicious
>machines or perform random audits.

>I have been thinking about purchasing a Service Industry
>License from McAfee Associates. The total package would cost
>about $6800.00 for (20 copies). This license would allow us
>to perform checks on various machines, however, the software
>must not remain with the clients.

The security guy here got a good laugh and said that you must be a
couple decimal places off.  68$.  I could believe 680$ (maybe).

I don't know FPROT (fprot111.zip via mibsrv.mib.eng.ua.edu in
pub/ibm-antivirus via anonymous ftp) but the security guy recommends
it and they charge either one or two dollars per machine in large
numbers...

Brian Aslakson
- --
Macintosh related:  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu