[comp.virus] "Re: other ways for viral injection C"

jc@atcmpe.atcmp.nl (Jan Christiaan van Winkel) (08/09/90)

lath@geocub.greco-prog.fr (Laurent Lathieyre) writes:
>I wonder if operating systems shouldn't
>preferably be delivered in source form rather than in
>compiled form...

And even that does not guard you against the virus/trojan Ken Thompson
described in his Turing award lecture.
How can you guarantee that the compiler/assembler or linker does not
insert some extra code, recognizing the fact that it is
compiling/assembling/linking the new version of the compiler, operating
system or whatever?

Therefore I do not agree with mr. Lathieyre: It is better to have one
source of your O/S. I'd rather boot off one of the suppliers disks than
off on I built myself using God knows what utilities...
JC