[comp.virus] Antivirus-viruses

XPUM04@prime-a.central-services.umist.ac.uk (Anthony Appleyard) (08/01/90)

There has been several bouts of discussion on Virus-L  on  the  subject  of
antivirals that spread like viruses. As far as I can tell from reading back
issues of Virus-L, a few antivirus viruses have been released, with varying
results:-

(1) Mac: The original nVIR deleted  a  system  file,  so  a  new  nVIR  was
released which killed the old one.

(2) PC: Den Zuk was  released  to  kill  Brain;  it  also  killed  obsolete
versions  of  itself. But Den Zuk had a bug, which made it delete data when
infecting small disks.

(3) Amiga: North Star (I & II), supposed to kill other viruses and  nothing
else.  It works like a normal bootblock virus, with two good exceptions. If
it finds a unknown bootblock (normally an auto-loading  game),  it  DOESN'T
replace that bootblock, so the game keeps working. If it finds a virus on a
write-protected disk, it asks you to remove the write-protection.

(4) Amiga: System Z (3.0 & 4.0 & 5.0): boot sector virus, asks  the  user's
permission before infecting anything.

The arguments put against them are:-

(1) Ethics: System Z handles this point by  asking  the  user's  permission
before infecting.

(2) Risk of them malfunctioning and becoming ordinary harmful viruses: E.g.
Den Zuk. This point should be handled by thorough  testing  and  debugging.

(3) Risk of them being  hacked  into  harmful  viruses:  There  are  enough
ordinary  harmful  viruses  about  for  virus-writers to hack at. Antivirus
viruses can be protected by  some  sort  of  internal  checksum  tested  by
well-encrypted code, to test for unauthorized alteration.

The  main  inaccessible  reservoir  of  virus   infection   is   the   many
microcomputers  in  private  ownership,  often  used mainly by children and
teenagers, who are often ignorant of viruses, imagining that  virus  damage
is  hardware  malfunction  or software bug or the way of the world, with no
hope of access to email or the usual channels of  getting  virus  news  and
antivirals. There are far too many of these micros for any sort of national
register  to  be  kept of where each is kept, for a tester to go round them
like in a firm or a university. The only way that I can see of getting some
sort of antiviral well distributed among this widely scattered  chronically
infested  population, would be for the antiviral to distribute itself, i.e.
to spread like a virus. It is a choice of evils. For example,  if  Den  Zuk
hadn't  got  the bug of malfunctioning on small disks, it would likely have
spread largely ignored, and flushed out the harmful Brain from most of  the
places  where  it breeds in children's bedrooms among unsupervised IBM PC's
and casually-exchanged game floppies, until a Brain-infected videogame gets
run on a university or official or school computer and endangers  important
programs and data.

{A.Appleyard} (email: APPLEYARD@UK.AC.UMIST), Wed, 01 Aug 90  14:50:32  BST

CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET (David.M.Chess) (08/02/90)

Anthony Appleyard <XPUM04@prime-a.central-services.umist.ac.uk>
writes, among other things:

> For example, if Den Zuk hadn't got the bug of malfunctioning on
> small disks, it would likely have spread largely ignored, and
> flushed out the harmful Brain from most of the places where it
> breeds...

I imagine there will be lots of flames on this, and I don't
really want to add to them (on the other hand, I don't
want there to be no response to the item, so here I am!).

I'm not sure if Mr. Appleyard means to imply that if the Den Zuk had
only been less buggy, it would have been a Good Thing; if that's the
intent, though, I'd like to disagree strongly!  Any virus (with or
without the Den Zuk's Brain-removal, "logo" and other side effects)
that messes around with my system without my knowledge is a Bad Thing.
It will eventually spread to some place where it will do harm (a
non-standard disk format that it doesn't notice, but messes up; a new
version of the op system that it's not compatible with; or whatever).

The only anti-virus virus that would be at all defensible would be
one that announced itself in large and unmissable letters when first
run, and gave the user the option (which I, personally, would always
exercise) to tell it to erase itself completely from the system.
Even then, I don't entirely share Mr. Appleyard's confidence that
there are already so many sample viruses out there that one more
won't provide budding virus writers with extra education.  I'm not
certain that it would, but I wouldn't want to take the chance...

DC

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (08/09/90)

In addition to the viruses described in the original posting, some of
the variants of Yankee Doodle are anti-virus viruses - they modify the
Ping-Pong virus, so it will self-destruct.

- -frisk

- --
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion
E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801  |