[comp.virus] Hunter-Killer Ethics

CAH0@gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (08/15/90)

Peter_Urka@ub.cc.umich.edu writes:
>         It has recently been suggested in this journal that sending
> out 'helpful' viruses that would infect machines and destroy harmful
> viruses should be thought about.  I have and have reached these
> conclusions: 1) It is a nice (even ethical) thing to do.  2) It would
> not help virus programmer's in a technical sense.  If they can write
> these things now, new algorithms are but a matter of time. 3) It
> should not be done.

   When I read item #1 of this text, I had to reread it to be sure it
wasn't a misprint.  In this field of Macintosh programming, ethics is a
problem.  As a group, we have not defined what our ethics are.  There is
no standard of ethics for the body of Macintosh programmers.  There is no
ethics committee, no agreed upon guidelines, no process for the review,
upgrade, and growth of our ethical concept.  As a group, we're big on
knowledge, but, as a group, we may be short on wisdom.  Maybe that's
because of our relative youth compared with other professions.  Without
wise and thoughtful mentors or supervisors for large numbers of Macintosh
programmers, "ethics" becomes kind of an ad hoc term for whatever values
or ethics each individual has developed in some other profession, or life
in general.  There is a pervading sense that if it seems right (to me)
then it's okay (so I'll do it).  The recent debate about duplicating
copyrighted software was a beautiful example of this.  Although personal
values and ethics certainly are related, in this field there is a lot of
blurring between them, and not a clear understanding by many of how they
differ.
   Would it be ethical to distribute such code?  I don't know.  Since we
have no place within our profession to turn for guidance, I, too, must
draw from outside.  In our culture, and in our law, there is a well
established principle of "informed consent."  We do conduct physiological
and psychological experiments whose probable outcome may be unknown.  But
we regard such experimentation as okay only if the person knows what the
probable outcomes are, and knows the level of uncertainly, and has the
capacity to understand these things, and gives consent.  I can imagine
cases where a user could give informed consent before installing such
code, but I can also imagine other cases where the writer of the code
would have no assurance at all that the user understands the implications.
 Simply displaying text and providing an "OK" button doesn't even meet the
crudest standards for determining informed consent.  And even if the first
user gives informed consent, how does the writer determine the informed
consent of someone else who copies the code from the first?  Here's where
our profession departs from the medical experiment model.  There's no
control over the process after interviewing the first user.  So I don't
know.  I might say "yes" because of ethics developed in my other
profession, but maybe "no" because THIS profession is different and has
its own peculariarities.
   What do you think?
P.S.  I agree with Peter's point #2, and don't know about #3.
- -Chuck

- - Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.
cah0@bunny.gte.com
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN