[comp.virus] Salk Vaccine

HAMER@VCUVAX.BITNET (ROBERT M. HAMER) (08/31/90)

Enough, already:
On 26 Aug 90 00:48:38 decomyn@penguin.uss.tek.com writes:

>SYSBXR@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU (Bridget Rutty) writes:
>>>    I can think of at least one precedent from the medical profession
>>>- - the Saulk (sp?) vaccine (the primary polio vaccine in the US).  Thiss

Three levels of quotes...  It is spelled Salk, not Saulk.

>This is not exactly true.  Although the person getting the vaccine (or
>their parents) hopefully understand the risks and benifits, the Salk
>vaccine actually spreads to non-vaccinated people, transmitting the
>benifits of the vaccine to them without their knowledge or consent.
>That is why the Salk vaccine is used, rather than a killed virus
>vaccine.

The Salk vaccine was a _KILLED_ virus vaccine, created by Jonas Salk.
Several years later, Albert Sabin created a weakened _LIVE_ virus
vaccine, called, not surprisingly, the Sabin vaccine.  Its purpose was
not to spread to "non-vaccinated" people.  It was designed neither to
spread not to make people sick; just to do a better job of getting the
immune system to create antibodies to polio than did the Salk vaccine.
Being a killed virus, and barring an error in the creation of the
killed virus vaccine, the Salk vaccine could neither spread nor make
anyone sick.  (With both vaccines, and indeed with almost any vaccine,
it is possible that the manufacture of the vaccine might be defective,
leaving live unweakened virus.  _VERY UNLIKELY_.  It is further
possible, and more likely but still unlikely, that any particular
person can have an allergic reaction to a vaccine, and get sick,
sometimes very sick.)

decomyn@penguin.uss.tek.com (09/06/90)

HAMER@VCUVAX.BITNET (ROBERT M. HAMER) writes:
>On 26 Aug 90 00:48:38 decomyn@penguin.uss.tek.com writes:
>
>>This is not exactly true.  Although the person getting the vaccine (or
>>their parents) hopefully understand the risks and benifits, the Salk
>>vaccine actually spreads to non-vaccinated people, transmitting the
>>benifits of the vaccine to them without their knowledge or consent.
>>That is why the Salk vaccine is used, rather than a killed virus
>>vaccine.
>
>The Salk vaccine was a _KILLED_ virus vaccine, created by Jonas Salk.

You're right, of course.  I always have trouble keeping these two straight.

>Several years later, Albert Sabin created a weakened _LIVE_ virus
>vaccine, called, not surprisingly, the Sabin vaccine.  Its purpose was
>not to spread to "non-vaccinated" people.  It was designed neither to
>spread not to make people sick; just to do a better job of getting the
>immune system to create antibodies to polio than did the Salk vaccine.

I am afraid you need to do a little more research on this.  The
government policy pushing the live-virus vaccine (Sabin) in favor of
the killed- virus vaccine emphasizes the ability of the live-virus
vaccine to spread to non-vaccinated children, spreading the benefits.
There have been several popular accounts of this as well, including
one episode on Nova (PBS).

If you wish to discuss this further. let us move it to email or
sci.medicine.

Brendt Hess
decomyn@penguin.uss.tek.com