[comp.virus] The 1559 Virus

LISTVIR@USACHVM1.BITNET (Gonzalo M. Rojas Costa) (02/24/90)

Hi

  Vesselin Bontchev (T762102@DM0LRZ01.BITNET) writes:

> - The virus is memory resident. It installs itself in the
>   memory at address 9800:0000. I couldn't find where (and if)
>   it checks for the memory size.

     This virus only copies itself to the address 9800h:0000. It don't
installs resident with INT 27 or the  function 31H. If I execute a big
program (that ocupies the segment 9800h), this program erase the virus
from memory and a crash will occurr.
     Besides, the 1559  virus don't checks the memory size.  Then if I
execute a  program infected with  this virus  in a computer  with less
than 640K  of RAM,  the computer  hangs. (This  efect occurr  too, for
example, in an AT with 1024K of  memory {512K from factory and 512K of
Extended Memory}).

> - The virus is 1554 bytes long, but may add more bytes (up to
>   1569 I think) to the infected files.

     Yes. If  I infect a  program with  this virus, the  program don't
grows in  a constant quantity of  bytes. For that reason  I don't find
appropriate the  name 1559 for  this virus.  Besides, the size  of the
virus is 1554 bytes. Then I don't find the reason for that name.

> - Only *.COM files greater than 1000 bytes will be infected. I
>   couldn't find if there is a limit for the *.EXE ones.

    EXE files greater or equal than 3 512-bytes-pages (1536 bytes) are
infected.

> - The first 32 bytes of the *.COM files are overwritten. The
>   original 32 bytes can be found at offset (14,15)*16+1015
>   from the beginning of the file.

     The 32 bytes  overwritten can be found  at offset (14,15)*16+1271
on the infected program that I disassembled.
(It seems that  the offset where the bytes overwritten  are located is
(14,15)*16+number, and number depends of the size of the program being
infected).

> - The virus intercepts the WRITE function call (AH == 40H) of
>   INT 21h. If the month of the current date is 9 or greater,
>   and if the write is on file handle > 4 (i.e., it is a "true"
>   file, not stdin/out/err/aux/prn), then the address of the
>   memory chunk which has to be written, is increased by 0Ah.
>   This leads to garbage being written.

     Then, if I type the command COPY myfile1 myfile2 in the months of
September, October, November or December,  myfile2 will lose the first
ten bytes, and will add an equal quantity of garbage to the end. (But,
myfile and myfile2 remains of the same size).

     An  important  caracteristic  of  this  virus  is  that  it  have
subroutines that  don't permit  the use of  debuggers (such  as MSDOS'
DEBUG or Turbo Debugger).

Disclaimer: The views expressed are my own! I do not speak for, nor do
            I represent any other person or company.

Gonzalo M. Rojas Costa
BITNET: LISTVIR@USACHVM1
ARPA: LISTVIR%USACHVM1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Owner of ASSMPC-L
Antiviral Research Group
Technical Support Unit
Universidad de Santiago de Chile

J2YC@UNB.CA (DBILLINGSLEY) (09/14/90)

Last year, I believe, the 1559 virus was sent out over VALERT by
accident. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems because of
it. I have found out that it activates on September 1st of the year
and therefore the damage would only be noticed now.

(This may have been already discussed in full, if so please do not
include this letter:)

Damage noticed by the 1559 Virus:

On exe files, file size is increased roughly by 1559 bytes.  Com files
don't seem to have their file size changed however they also get
infected (As does command.com)

The Virus' incubation period continues past september first, however,
on that date and beyond all sequential text files written (Or any file
written to) will be severely damaged....

SCANV66B was what I used to detect the virus however no safe cure is
out there (Or none that I am aware of)

Derek Billingsley