[comp.virus] Who should get what virus

WHMurray@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (09/16/90)

>Subject: Who should get what viruses?
>
>What should the policy be regarding sending (old) viruses to other people
>and sites?

Since once a virus passes out of your hands, you have lost control over
it, and since virus epidemics begin from a single copy, the decision to
turn loose of one is very serious.  The consequences are potentially as
damaging as originating one.

Therefore, as a general rule, err on the safe side.  The author of the
question gives an example of a request from a stranger posted on a
bulletin board.  Certainly, no one should give a copy of a virus to a
stranger.  In the general case sending one to an unknown email address
would not be responsible.

Indeed, any such request should be viewed with alarm.  Those who have a
legitimate need and who can be trusted, are essentially known to each
other.  If I want admission to such a group, I would expect to have to
introduce myself by more appropriate and rigourous processes.

William Hugh Murray, Executive Consultant, Information System Security
21 Locust Avenue, Suite 2D, New Canaan, Connecticut 06840
203 966 4769, WHMurray at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL