[comp.virus] SCANRES

FREE0612@UIUCVMD.BITNET (David Lemson) (09/17/90)

In a message of Fri, 14 Sep 90 09:14:40 -0500, Jon Loux
<JLOUX@UCONNVM.BITNET> writes:

>I can't seem to find a copy of McAfee's resident scanning program (SCANRES)
>for evaluation.  It is not on SIMTEL20.

>Does anyone know if it is still available?  And if so, from where?

     A few versions ago, John McAfee replaces SCANRES (which had some
TSR conflicts and generally didn't do a wonderful job in some
instances) with a new program called VSHIELD.  Look for a VSHIELD with
the same version as the current SCAN on SIMTEL20.  As of about a week
ago, the place to look on Simtel is:

PD1:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>VSHLD66.ZIP

     That's the most current version last time I checked.  Another
plus about VSHIELD is that it will scan your system files on each
bootup.  It takes under 10K of RAM.

David Lemson  d-lemson@uiuc.edu