[comp.virus] Measuring the Spread of Viruses

yamauchi@heron.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (09/18/90)

Has anyone done any work on measuring the degree to which viruses (as
a whole or as individual strains) have spread throughout the
population of personal computers?  This could be done either by
collecting statistics on the number of reported cases or, more
elaborately, sending out surveys to various sites
(academic/commercial/government) and individual users (e.g.
subscribers to various magazines).

There is a tendency among naive users to blame every occurence of
unusual system behavior on "a virus".  I'm curious to what extent this
is a reasonable response to the current level of virus infestation and
to what extent this is just paranoia (or perhaps hypochondria).

It would be interesting to track the growth in the number, type, and
capabilities of viruses as a function of time.  I can remember
listening to a talk on viruses as an undergrad (circa 1985) in which
viruses were basically academic curiousities as *potential* future
threats to security -- for better or for worse, we've come a long way
in a short time...

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (09/18/90)

yamauchi@heron.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

>Has anyone done any work on measuring the degree to which viruses (as
>a whole or as individual strains) have spread throughout the
>population of personal computers?  This could be done either by
>collecting statistics on the number of reported cases or, more
>elaborately, sending out surveys to various sites
>(academic/commercial/government) and individual users (e.g.
>subscribers to various magazines).

I know of a case where the speed virus propagation was measured. The
virus we now call 'The Internet Worm' and the researcher was Robert T.
Morris [Jr.].  (Yeah, I know, it was a worm and not a virus). Whether
you like it or not, the best way to measure propagation is by letting
out a relatively harmless 'test virus'