[comp.virus] forwarded message

LBA002@PRIME-A.TEES-POLY.AC.UK (09/20/90)

From:     LIPPERT@EARN.UCBEH
Subject:  Suspected virus
Date:     Wed, 19 Sep 1990 03:47:56 BST

- ----------------------------Original message----------------------------

Does anyone know of any virus that wipes out files indiscriminately as
they are accessed?  I am using a PS2/30 with a Toshiba TMX3100A1
CD-ROM drive that is causing us much grief.  We thought we had it
fixed when all the files in the ISI CD-ROM software directory were
wiped out on Friday.  They are ir- retrievable using PC-TOOLS, so we
assume they are no longer on the file allocation table.  We now think
that the problem is either a virus or a major software or hardware
problem.  If anyone has experienced anything like this, please let me
know.  We have tried several virus diagnostics, but could not find a
match, so it's probably a new one.

Margret Lippert
University of Cincinnati
lippert@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

Iain Noble                                   |
LBA002@pa.tp.ac.uk                           |  Post:  Main Site Library,
JANET: LBA002@uk.ac.tp.pa                    |         Teesside Polytechnic,
EARN/BITNET: LBA002%pa.tp.ac.uk@UKACRL       |         Middlesbrough,
INTERNET: LBA002%pa.tp.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu |         Cleveland, UK, TS1 3BA