[comp.virus] Anti-Virus Viruses

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (09/27/89)

I have been following the anti-virus-virus discussion with some
interest, but I have not yet seen anybody mention the fact that one
such virus already exists.

The virus is the "Den Zuk" (Translation: The Search) virus, which was
written to fight the Brain virus.

When this virus finds a Brain-infected diskette, it removes Brain and
puts a copy of itself in place.

It also looks for old versions of itself and "upgrades" them if
necessary.

The virus resides on track 40 on diskettes (normally 360K diskettes
only have tracks numbered 0-39), and thus takes up no usable space.

So far, so good.

However - this virus also demonstrates what can (and will) go wrong
with anti-virus-viruses.

The programmer did not anticipate 1.2M or 3.5" diskettes. When the
virus infects a disk of that type, it will destroy data.

Also, several "hacked" versions of this virus have been reported,
including one that will disable the SYS command and destroy all data
on drive C: on September 13. 1991. (One more of those "Friday the 13th
viruses. Why can't virus writers have a little more imagination :-) )

So - the conclusion is simple: "The only good virus is a dead one."

                            ---- frisk

drew@dave.nrl.navy.mil (Greg Drew) (08/17/90)

     In issue 143, Scott Erickson stated that "I don't see any
additional danger the average user is put into with the innovation of
antiviruses...."  I would agree that some of his points have merit,
but I would like to give one example of how a phony antivirus could
pose a greater danger than a "standard" virus.
     Many people using Macintoshes now employ some sort of resident
virus blocker such as Vaccine or Disinfectant.  These types of
utilities are designed to identify known viruses and to BLOCK
SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY.  Many of these have an option to allow this kind
of activity to certain programs (compilers, etc).  If a virus writer
wanted an easy way to get around these programs, all he or she would
need to do is to have the virus identify itself as an antivirus, and
then ask the user to set his or her virus protection to allow the
virus in.  After a few days, weeks, or months, the seemingly helpful
antivirus would then reveal its true colors.
     It is certainly easier for a virus writer to put in some message
like the one above (perhaps one which only reveals itself if the virus
detects something like Disinfectant) than for the person to design a
virus to get around the protection.
                                          - GDD
 Greg Drew                         | drew@dave.nrl.navy.mil
                                   | (202) 767 - 6886
 My opinions in no way reflect those of the Naval Research Lab, the
 U.S. Navy, or any other organization.

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (08/18/90)

	Frankly the idea is abhorrent to me. For one reason, such a
program must, by definition be constantly modifying files and would
make any effective configuration management impossible. Secondly,
there are a number of programs (VolksWriter comes to mind) using
overlays that cannot function properly with any extra appendages.

	We already have "hunter-killer" programs (the McAfee utilities
come to mind) that are initiated by the user and quit when told. Other
programs are available which become resident and keep watch on system
activities (e.g. Virus-Safe). Most are based on a stable environment
from which deviations can be detected.

	Mature detection routines are still mixed into two camps:
virsu spotters that work by viral signature analysis, and exception
spotters that detect deviations from a known environment. While both
have their pros & cons, I suspect that the final product will either
be #2 or a synthesis of both. For obvious reasons any viral activity,
even of a benign nature, would make this impossible.

	While it is certainly possible that an adaptive expert system
might be developed that would be essentially virus-proof, it would
also be a troubleshooting nightmare. We must remember that a solution
must be appropriate for 50 million uneducated users who wish the PC to
be a tool, not for the "experts" who can pull apart a 160k .EXE and
determine its function.  Unfortunately, the users for whom a global
solution is necessary are unlikely to participate in this forum.
(personal opinion)

	One further opinion: some people have commented that the 4096
is not reponsible for crosslinking files and that users cause the
problems when they use CHKDSK/F. Sounds like something a politician
would say.

						Padgett

FXJWK@ALASKA.BITNET (Jo Knox - UAF Academic Computing) (09/01/90)

Okay, okay: Saulk/Salk/Sabin---I agree with others who have stated
that the analogy is a stretch; in fact, I think we should drop this
particular line; the analogy is irrelevant.
  Maybe we should drop the entire discussion of anti-virus viruses;
as far as I can tell, some here tend to favor the idea, and some
think it reprehensible, and I don't think anyone has changed anyone
else's opinion...
  Before I drop the subject, though, I would like to rebut
WHMurray@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL:

> > An anti-virus could be written to infect only certain types of
> > operating systems.
>
> No, I am sorry, it could not.  It could be written not to infect
> certain known operating systems, but it could not be written to
> "infect only certain" ones.  The susceptibility of unknown systems
> cannot be known.

You just about lost me, here; I was thinking in terms of "platforms",
rather than differing OS versions.  Still, I disagree: I haven't heard
of any virus which is infectious across platforms (IBM-Mac or anything
else), though I guess "Frankie" is getting close.  Every virus that I
know of is already platform-specific, and I don't see why it shouldn't
be easy to make a virus OS-specific:
  (pseudo code)
     if( os-version != "6.0.5" ) exit;
     infect_it();

Perhaps I'm contributing to this "beating the dead horse"; can we hear
from some of the fence-sitters out there?  Has anyone's mind been
changed during these discussions?

It may also be we're all just getting typing practice: we will see
viruses of this sort, and I think not too long from now. I hope
whoever releases such creates a well-behaved little demon...!

Peter_Urka@ub.cc.umich.edu (09/05/90)

	As Knox points out; some like the idea of AVV's, and some don't.
Unlike Knox, I do believe that this discussion has had merit and
people have changed their minds.  I have received e-mail indicating
this.  I just hope that more people don't like the idea now than before,
and that less people like the idea of AVV's now than before.
	Knox also points out that we may be seeing vaccines turning up.
I believe that we, society, morally and legally, should be prepared
to treat the authors of vaccines as authors of viruses are.  Admittedly
that is not too harsh, but perhaps that will change in the future.
Peter Urka@ub.cc.umich.edu

flaps@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (09/09/90)

FXJWK@ALASKA.BITNET (Jo Knox - UAF Academic Computing) writes:
>Every virus that I know of is already platform-specific, and I don't see why
>it shouldn't be easy to make a virus OS-specific:
>  (pseudo code)
>     if( os-version != "6.0.5" ) exit;
>     infect_it();

Even if the WDEF virus for the mac contained such a test, it would
still probably be the case that "the virus causes the Mac IIci, the
IIfx, and the Portable to crash almost immediately after insertion of
an infected floppy."  (Disinfectant 2.1 help screen)

The issue is the same here.  The author of the wdef virus didn't have
any of these machines to test the virus on at the time (most of them
weren't released yet (I don't know the exact timing)).  But they are
all supported by system 6.0.5.

There's no way to write that test correctly.  Virus writers can't test
for machines they don't know about.

ajr

JS05STAF%MIAMIU.BITNET@OHSTVMA.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Joe Simpson) (09/11/90)

I really don't care what the motivation of a virus writer is.  If I
could identify the writer of any virus introduced into my computer
system without my permssion, I would attempt to see that person at
least publicly identified, and if practical prosecuted.

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (09/18/90)

I am not arguing in favor of AVVs, but have a few technical ideas to
throw out for discussion:

One method of limiting the risk of an AVV would be to make it spread
more rapidly where there are other viruses than where there are not.
For example, the virus could award itself "food points" every time it
"eats" a bad virus, and require a certain number of points before it
attempts to replicate.  The copy, of course, starts life with no food
points ...

This way, the AVV would be almost unable to spread among systems which
were apparently clean, but would spread rapidly in an obviously sick
environment.  This property could be quite useful in focusing the
concentration of the AVV to where it was needed the most.

Many variants of this scheme are possible.  For example, the virus
might split food points with its copy, but then lose a point every
time it runs and there's nothing to disinfect.  Eventually it could
"starve" and remove itself.  If the virus was on read-only media, and
hence unable to accumulate food points, it could replicate with a low
probability each time it ate something, giving much the same effect as
saving up points.

Another safety feature would be to publish all the information needed
to recognize and disinfect the virus, a few months before releasing
it.  That way no one would have to have it that didn't want to and
already had means for virus protection.

A polite AVV might ask before committing suicide, so the user had the
choice of some other software to do the job.

- --
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman

ROBERTS@apple.com (I'm working on it...) (09/18/90)

Howard A. Landman writes about potential anti-virus viruses (AVV's)
>Another safety feature would be to publish all the information needed
>to recognize and disinfect the virus, a few months before releasing
>it.

A good idea, and you would want to publish anonymously.

>A polite AVV might ask before committing suicide, so the user had the
>choice of some other software to do the job.

I don't think a "polite" AVV would spread.  Noone would say "yes".  A
"considerate" AVV would kill itself if it detected any form of anti-viral
software known to be able to detect the virus(es) that the AVV is hunting.

I think Howard's idea of food points is clever and would not significantly
reduce the AVV's effectiveness.

another note:  Is it true that the destructive viruses are less
contagious because they are more likely to be noticed?

- -George Roberts
..decwrl.dec.com!teda!ratvax.dnet!roberts

ROBERTS@decwrl.dec.com (I'm working on it...) (09/24/90)

Brian Yamauchi writes:
>The problem with "food points", and other self-limiting strategies in
>general, is that from an evolutionary perspective these limitations
>are *flaws*, and the evolutionary pressure will be to remove these.

This is true, but viruses don't mutate often enough to matter over the
course of the expected life time of the currently used personal
computers.

Viruses make clones of themselves and (I hear) sometimes have code to
PREVENT themselves from mutating (hamming function).