[comp.virus] Help, I may have a virus

jbracher@UCSD.EDU (James Bracher) (09/23/90)

I am told that I have a virus and need some information.  This
newsgroup seems the place to ask my questions.  This is my first time
posting to the net, so any comments will be appreciated.  I don't
usually read this group, but now I have a good reason.  Any responses
may go direct to me or can be posted.

I have had trouble with my C-MOS failing during boot up and having to
fix missing or wrong information.  No big deal, but I ran the machine
back to where I bought it over the summer (and after loading several
new programs from different trusted sources).  They told me that it
was a boot sector virus.  Okay.  However, some EE and programing
friends were not so sure.  They have also checked programs I have
shared with them, without finding a virus.

Symptoms: Only seems to blow the C-MOS.  This may have been triggered
on dates with a 14 in the string, especially 2/14/90.

Does this sound like a known (or unknown) virus?  Further, (this
should provoke some discussion) what is a good book/article on viri
(?), especially for someone short on time.  And which of the many
anti-virus programs are recommended?  I don't have time to become an
expert on viruses, but should know something.

Many thanks in Advance.....

JSB

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (09/26/90)

jbracher@UCSD.EDU (James Bracher) writes:
> I am told that I have a virus and need some information.  This
> I have had trouble with my C-MOS failing during boot up and having to
> fix missing or wrong information.  No big deal, but I ran the machine

An out of control program can cause the c-mos info to get lost.  I have
seen it happen more often than I want to.

> new programs from different trusted sources).  They told me that it
> was a boot sector virus.  Okay.  However, some EE and programing
>
> Symptoms: Only seems to blow the C-MOS.  This may have been triggered
> on dates with a 14 in the string, especially 2/14/90.

Interrupt driven code is especialy prone to wiping this out, however
It is sounding more and more like a marginal battery.  Perhaps you
should replace the battery.  Often times they start causing problems a
couple of years down the road.

Cheers
Woody

jwm775@unhd.unh.edu (Jonathan W Miner) (09/26/90)

jbracher@UCSD.EDU (James Bracher) writes:
>I have had trouble with my C-MOS failing during boot up and having to
>fix missing or wrong information.  No big deal, but I ran the machine

This can also be caused by a bad battery.  I worked on a machine with
a faulty battery this summer and it configured itself differently
every day.  One result was refusing to format floppy disks.

Jonathan Miner    (jwm775@unhd.UUCP)

I don't speak for UNH, nor they for me.

shediack%hqeis.decnet@hqafsc-vax.af.mil (HQEIS::SHEDIACK) (09/28/90)

         In Virus-L, V#3, #161, James Bracher raises a question on CMOS
         loss upon bootup in his "Help, I may have a virus (PC)".  Mr
         Bracher is concerned he may have a virus in his computer's hard
         disk.

         Another reader raised the possibility of a weak battery due to
         aging.  I had that problem here last week where a computer lost
         its date (went back to the default of 1-1-80), but didn't lose
         the rest of the configuration when power was lost.  It turned
         out the battery was only holding/putting out 4 volts which the
         technician told me was too low this particular CPU.

         Another possibility could be a bad power supply.  We had a
         computer here that did everything from display RAM error
         messages, "No operating system found" messages, fail to boot,
         lose configuration, etc.  After hours of troubleshooting, we
         were coming up with nothing but frustration.  The technician and
         I talked about this computer's frequent maintenance problems.
         It then dawned on both of us this particular CPU had been in the
         same room where another CPU lost its hard disk, power supply and
         part of the motherboard to a power surge of some sort.  A meter
         check on the power supply showed it putting out only 7 volts
         when 12.5 was called for by the manufacturer.

         (don't quote me on the voltage figures---I got them second hand,
         but you get the general idea).

         Moral: When the box is acting weird, check the battery and power
         supply if everything else seems okay.

         PATRICK D. SHEDIACK, MSgt, USAF           "Standard disclaimer -
         Info Mgt Systems Development Analyst       all opinions my own;
         Directorate of Information Management      but, you're free to
         HQ Air Force Systems Command               adopt them!"
         Andrews AFB DC 20334-5000

         (301-981-2032/5245)(DSN:  858-2032/5245)