[comp.virus] Beware of some virus researchers

ddavidso@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Dean Davidson) (10/06/90)

It started with:

>From: Don Sheffer <dgpickering@rose.uwaterloo.ca>
>To: ddavidso@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au
>
>Greetings from Canada!
>
>Some time ago you mentioned being hit by the "1022" or fellowship virus.
>We would be interested in obtaining a copy for research purposes, and
>also to track the infection rate of this new virus. If you could send
>us a specimen and information about number of PC's infected, spread rate,
>etc., it would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance!

>Don Sheffer, University of Waterloo Virus Response Team

I was a bit wary as his name was different to his account name so I
answered him:

> Sorry Don,
>
> No doubt you are genuine but I have no means of knowing!
> If you are known to either John McAfee of Fridrik Skulason you
> should ask them, as they have copies
>
> I am afraid that our university policy is only to distribute to
> people who we know.

The mail bounced with:

I then mailed the transcript to postmaster@rose with the following note:

Guy Middleton (the postmaster@rose) then replied:

>The message you received can be generated for a number of reasons.  The user
>in this instance is scheduled for deletion (probably because he is an
>undergrad, and away from campus until January at the earliest).

>We don't approve of people using other peoples' logins -- I imagine that Don
>Sheffer either borrowed it or broke in.

>There is no such thing as the "University of Waterloo Virus Response Team".

In summary:
1. Beware of genuine sounding people who want viruses for research
2. Beware of Don Sheffer
3. Beware of [employees!] of the University of Waterloo Virus Response Team

Dean Davidson                                 ddavidso@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au
User Support                                  Phone 61 2 805 7436
Macquarie University                          Fax   61 2 805 7433
NSW 2109 Australia                            VK2 ZID

ingoldsb@uunet.UU.NET (Terry Ingoldsby) (10/15/90)

ddavidso@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Dean Davidson) writes:
> It started with:
>
> >From: Don Sheffer <dgpickering@rose.uwaterloo.ca>
> >To: ddavidso@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au
> >
> >Greetings from Canada!
> >
> >Some time ago you mentioned being hit by the "1022" or fellowship virus.
> >We would be interested in obtaining a copy for research purposes, and
> >also to track the infection rate of this new virus. If you could send
..
> >Don Sheffer, University of Waterloo Virus Response Team
..>
> I was a bit wary as his name was different to his account name so I
> answered him:
>
> The mail bounced with:
> > While talking to rose.uwaterloo.ca:

This guy seems to have been quite busy!  I got a similar message, but from
a different account name:

   Greetings from Ontario!

   A couple of months ago you mentioned having experienced an outbreak of
   Yankee Doodle virus.  Do you still need help with this?  If so, I would
   be more than happy to send any and all info I have concerning this
   virus, ....
   Also, if you could send us a specimen for research purposes ....

The account name used in this attempt was "Matthew D. Harding"
(rose.waterloo.edu!mdharding>.  I wondered why someone who alleged to have
a good knowledge on ways to stop the YD virus would want a copy, but unlike
Dean Davidson, didn't ever follow up (but neither did I reply to Sheffer).

It is evident that we have to be alert to this sort of abuse of the network.
I am very concerned about this sort of thing because Usenet is a sensitive
issue around here (a security conscious organization).

- --
  Terry Ingoldsby                ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Services                 or
  The City of Calgary       ...{alberta,ubc-cs,utai}!calgary!ctycal!ingoldsb