[comp.virus] Help with Jerusalem B

AZX@NIHCU.BITNET (10/12/90)

I am a regular 'listener' to Virus-L, but this is the first time I am
faced with removing a virus from someone's computer.  I tried to
remove Jerusalem B from a computer using McAfee's M-J.  It claimed to
have removed many occurances the first time I ran it, but Scan (v6.3)
still found lots of infected files.  Subsequent runs of M-J said
"clean" for all the files, yet Scan (and VIRscan) said files were
still infected.  I have tried using a 'clean' disk for boot and virus
scanning.  Note, M-J complained about my write protect being on.
  What I am doing wrong?  Note, due to problems with BITFTP,
I would rather using a modem long distance to transfer files
then pull them off of Bitnet/Internet -- so please make
suggestions accordingly.  Thanks.

Andrew Mitz
Biomed Engineer
NIH Animal Center               Animal Research Saves Lives!
Poolesville, MD

sigurd@vax1.udel.edu (Sigurd Andersen) (10/17/90)

AZX@NIHCU.BITNET writes:
> ... I tried to remove Jerusalem B from a computer using McAfee's M-J.
> ... Scan (and VIRscan) said files were still infected.  I have tried
> using a 'clean' disk for boot and virus scanning.  Note, M-J
> complained about my write protect being on. ...
>
>Andrew Mitz
>Biomed Engineer
>NIH Animal Center               Animal Research Saves Lives!
>Poolesville, MD

If you rebooted with Ctrl-Alt-Del, you may still have a resident
virus.  Maybe it wasn't M-J complaining about the write protect, but
DOS due to a virus trying to infect your disk.  Try powering up the
system with a known clean boot diskette and run your virus-removing
programs again.

	Sigurd Andersen             Internet:
	Academic Computing Support   sigurd@brahms.udel.edu
	University of Delaware      Bitnet: ACS20833@UDELVM
	Newark, DE 19716            phone:   (302) 451-1992