[comp.virus] New MacVirus?

cos@lclark.BITNET (07/27/90)

I've been doing general disk repairs and virus work around here, and
I've come across a problem with one of the disks.  Following standard
procedure, I bit-copied it onto another (blank) disk, and worked from
that disk.  As a result: My MacII bombed three times and the hard disk
started skipping like a bad record (This could be a problem with the
hard disk, and unrelated to viruses).  The disturbing part is the copy
which I was working on.  Although it has been scanned by Disinfectant
2.0, Virex Init v. 1.7, SAM virus clinic, and Virex 2.7.1, none of
them has detected either viruses or trojan horses or any sort of foul
play.  The catcher is this: although the disk is physically unlocked,
it is marked "locked" under the info box, and cannot be modified or
unlocked.  So far, the only program which has made a difference has
been Mactools, which registered the disk as unlocked.  I'm going to
work on it from there, but I would greatly appreciate any comments or
suggestions.

Thanks.

John Costello
cos@lclark.uucp
Academic Computing Services
Lewis and Clark College
Portland, OR  97219

My opinions have been backed up onto disk and stored in the bottom of
a closet in the basement of my friends house, which just burned down .
 . .  and do not reflect the opinions (if they exist) of this college
(if it exists)..

rhb9805@rouge.usl.edu (Bird Rendell H) (10/18/90)

I am hoping someone out there can help me.

I have recently come across a Macintosh which is displaying strange
symptoms. (*You won't believe this...*)

It seems "little kitty-cat faces" appear in the menu bars from time to
time.  Immediately afterward, the machine reboots itself. The person
who uses this machine is no help to me. She is the one who described
it as "little kitty-cat faces".

Has anyone heard of a virus which does this?

Rendell H. Bird
Programmer / Univerity of Southwestern Louisiana
rhb@usl.edu
menu bars

CAH0@gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (10/20/90)

rhb9805@rouge.usl.edu (Bird Rendell H) writes:
> It seems "little kitty-cat faces" appear in the menu bars from time to
> time.  Immediately afterward, the machine reboots itself. The person
> who uses this machine is no help to me. She is the one who described
> it as "little kitty-cat faces".

I've seen similar symptoms when running old, non-copyrighted game software
on 13" screens.  I never paid much attention to it, and assumed that
either the original author didn't conform to the standard interface, or
that the standard was established some time later.  I have seen it with
several programs, though never with a "Kitty-cat" face.  Also, if the
graphic is changing, all of them change the same, and they are spaced at
regular intervals across the menu bar.  Never saw one reboot, but I had to
do it anyway.
- -Chuck

- - Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |