[comp.virus] The Virus in Society & Request for book references

c-rossgr@uunet.uu.net (10/30/90)

>...infected?  How did you react the first time you were infected?  Does
>anyone else share hostile feelings toward virus creators such as those
>expressed by Ross Greenberg in the Flushot documentation?  Or, was
>that just hype to sell software?  Why do people create virues anyway?

Not hype, John.  There are a limited number of hours in the day and in
a life.  I'm pretty sure that the virus writers of the world think
they're having a wonderful time.  But, as I hate anyone who wastes my
time, I've also taken a strong dislike to anyone who wastes another's
time.  The computing field is no longer as open as it once was.  A
field that I love working in no longer is a "trustworthy" one.

So, yes, I still have nothing but hostile feelings to the virus
writers of the world.  I might rewrite my documentation one day so it
does not appear to come from such a crazy man...but the feelings are
still there.

Ross M. Greenberg
 Author, FLU_SHOT+ & Virex-PC

- -Not affiliated with account sponser

=====
Subject: Request for book references

>Hello.  For the author writng a book on viruses for college students,
>I would suggest Pamela Kane's "V.I.R.U.S. Protection - Vital
>Information Resources Under Siege", copyright 1989 by Ms. Kane and
>Bantam Books, ISBN 0-553-34799-3.  It is basic; stresses fundamentals
>that all PC users wwould be wise to keep clearly in mind.  "When all
>else fails, return to the fundamentals."

Additionally, Pam Kane's book is an interesting chronicle of the beginning
of the whole anti virus industry.  Good reading.  And, on top of all that,
Pam's a lovely lady, too!

>A related issue - Virus-L digest entries frequently refer to McAfee's
>products, especially the SCAN products, for detecting viruses.  Much
>less frequently, reference is made to one or two other detection
>products.  Certainly there must be others out there, aren't there?

Aside from the Panda Utility you mention, Ray Glath has a decent
little scanner, called VISpy.  Very nice product.  My own entry into
the scanner olympics is a totally commercial package, Virex-PC.  There
is, however, a demo of the product (sans disinfectors) called
"SCANDEMO" on most BBS systems and "SCANVX" over on Compuserve.  It's
a fast little puppy and, even though a demo package that will fill
your screen with reminders that you should buy the full package, it's
still a damned fine scanner -- even if I say so myself.

You can get a copy of it, also, in the new release of FLU_SHOT+,
Version 1.81, released just a few days ago.  Version 1.8 had a pretty
silly bug in it that V1.81 kills.