[comp.virus] Signatures

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) (10/26/90)

I have couple of questions:

Is there any way to obtain the signatures of all known
viruses?

What is the correct definition of an encrypted virus?

Thanks.

Don Kazem
DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET
National Academy of Sciences
Washington, DC

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (10/30/90)

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) writes:
>I have couple of questions:
>
>Is there any way to obtain the signatures of all known viruses?

Depends on what you mean by "signature", as the term has two different
meanings..

	A: The signature the virus itself uses to mark files or boot sectors
	   as infected. Example: Jerusalem 'SuMsdos' signature at the end of
	   .COM files.

	B: The signature string used by virus scanning program to check if
	   a virus is present.

Now if you mean (A), the answer is yes, apart from the fact that
several viruses, ('405' for example) do not check if files are
infected, and therefore they have no signature.  If (B), the answer is
also yes, except that it is not possible to provide any string at all
for some of the latest viruses.  The Phoenix fanily (Phoenix, Proud,
1226 and Evil) from Bulgaria is one example, the Whale is another.

In either case, no 100% complete lists are available, simply because
no virus researcher has a copy of all known or reported viruses. Even
the best virus collections only contain 250-270 variants.

>What is the correct definition of an encrypted virus?

Encrypted viruses - my favourite subject at the monemt (I just wrote a
4-page article about them for the Virus Bulletin) - are a bit hard to
define.

We have viruses, like 'Brain', where only a single text string or so
is encrypted.

We have the following viruses, where the first part of the virus code
performs a decryption of the rest:

	Pretoria:      simple XOR operation wit a fixed value
	July 13th:     simple XOR with a fixed value
	Slow:          simple XOR with a fixed value
	Cascade:       complex XOR
	Datacrime II:  complex XOR - slightly self-modifying
	800:           simple XOR
	Syslock/Macho: complex XOR
	1260/Casper:   complex XOR, self-modifying
	Suomi:	       simple XOR, self-modifying
	Phoenix family:simple XOR, self-modifying

In addition to the above viruses, Mark Washburn, the author of '1260'
(according to the list by Patricia Hoffman), has also written some
other encrypted 'research' viruses: V2P2, V2P6 and V2P6Z.

And finally we have the Whale, where most of the code is devoted to
implementing multiple layers of encryption. [And the rest is devoted
to driving virus-researchers insane.... :-( ]

Without doubt a formal definition could be written, to cover the
encrypted viruses, but I'll leave that to somebody else...

- -frisk

- --
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion
E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801  |