[comp.virus] FluShot Plus 1.7

76476.337@compuserve.com (Robert McClenon) (11/01/90)

I am using FluShot Plus 1.7 on my AT-compatible computer at home.  If
this is a reasonable question to ask in this newsletter, I would like
to know how to control how much memory it uses.

When it is started from my AUTOEXEC.BAT, it says that the size of the
protection table is 2048.  I have 14 programs defined with checksums
that it checks, as well as several rules to prevent unauthorized
writes, such as no writes of *.COM files without an interrupt.  If I
try to add a 15th program to the checksum list, FluShot Plus 1.7 HANGS
on startup.  If that happens, I have to reboot the PC from diskette
and take an entry out of FluShot's data file.  Obviously FluShot is
running out of memory and overwriting something.  Is there a way that
I can ask it to use more memory?  (I don't have that many other TSR's
and can spare another 2K.)  Where if anywhere are there specific
limits on what I can and can't do with FluShot?  Thank you.

          Robert McClenon
          Neither my employer nor anyone else paid me to say this.

c-rossgr@uunet.uu.net (11/07/90)

>From:    "Robert McClenon" <76476.337@compuserve.com>

> When it is started from my AUTOEXEC.BAT, it says that the size of the
> protection table is 2048.  I have 14 programs defined with checksums
> that it checks, as well as several rules to prevent unauthorized
> writes, such as no writes of *.COM files without an interrupt.  If I
> try to add a 15th program to the checksum list, FluShot Plus 1.7 HANGS
> on startup.

Robert: this really isn't the right place for me to do tech support,
so please feel free to call me at (212)-889-6431 or FAX me at
(212)-889- 9730 for future tech support.

This sounds like an interesting kinda problem, though: is your
FLUSHOT.DAT file > 2048 bytes (sounds unlikely with only 15 program
entries)? What program does it appear to hang on (during the checksum
scan)?

I'll have to ask you some more questions before I can help further,
but I'm always available for tech support at the above number(s).

Finally, you should also coinsider updating to Version 1.81, the most
recent version. It has some extra security, some bug fixes and a nifty
scan program, a demo of my commercial VIREX-PC product's scanner.

Ross M. Greenberg
 Author, FLU_SHOT+ & VIREX-PC

GLAS@TAUNIVM.BITNET (Shelly Glaser) (11/07/90)

If your copy of FLUSHOT is legitimate, why not contact the author
directly?  he is Ross Greenberg <utoday!greenber@uunet.uu.net> and is
usually quite helpful.

                                        Yours
                                        Shelly Glaser

PS: I think that FLUSHOT+ is not on the TRICKLE. Why?
Acknowledge-To: <GLAS@TAUNIVM>

[Ed. The above address for Ross Greenberg is no longer valid!  His new
address is: microsoft!c-rossgr@uunet.uu.net]