[comp.virus] OS/2 Viruses

0003158580@mcimail.com (William Hugh Murray) (09/16/90)

>Does anybody know something about OS/2 viruses ?

I hope that there is nothing to know.  I suspect that the population
of instances of OS/2 is still far too small to support sucessful
viruses.

>Will there be new possibilities to transport and/or hide
>viruses?

In all likelyhood.  OS/2 is significantly richer and more complex
than DOS.  For the moment it is also much more obscure.

>Has anybody already proved that there are new mechanisms
>possible,

Not to my knowledge, but nothing would surprise me.

>and if so: What can be done against them ?

A great deal.  The 80386, which OS/2 requires, provides multiple
states of privilege.  Thus, there can be mechanisms for fighting the
virus which the virus cannot see.  Such mechanisms can be much more
effective than those that we have in the 808X based systems.

>Did OS/2-Viruses already appear somewhere ?

I have not heard reports of any.  That may be evidence that there
are no reports, that no such viruses have been successful, or
that none have been attempted.
William Hugh Murray                     203-966-4769
Information System Security             203-326-1833 (CELLULAR)
Consultant to Deloitte & Touche         203-761-3088
Wilton, Connecticut                     email: 315-8580@MCIMAIL.COM
                                        WHMurray@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL
                                        MCI-Mail: 315-8580
                                        TELEX: 6503158580
                                        FAX: 203-966-8612
                                        Compu-Serve: 75126,1722
21 Locust Avenue, Suite 2D              DASnet: [DCM1WM]WMURRAY
New Canaan, Connecticut 06840           PRODIGY: DXBM57A

eli@smectos.gang.umass.edu (Eli Brandt) (09/18/90)

0003158580@mcimail.com (William Hugh Murray) writes:
>>Does anybody know something about OS/2 viruses ?
>
>I hope that there is nothing to know.  I suspect that the population
>of instances of OS/2 is still far too small to support sucessful
>viruses.
>
>>Will there be new possibilities to transport and/or hide
>>viruses?
>
>In all likelyhood.  OS/2 is significantly richer and more complex
>than DOS.  For the moment it is also much more obscure.
>
>>Has anybody already proved that there are new mechanisms
>>possible,
>
>Not to my knowledge, but nothing would surprise me.
>
>>and if so: What can be done against them ?
>
>A great deal.  The 80386, which OS/2 requires, provides multiple
>states of privilege.  Thus, there can be mechanisms for fighting the
>virus which the virus cannot see.  Such mechanisms can be much more
>effective than those that we have in the 808X based systems.

The protection of "protected mode" could cut both ways, however.
Although it would be harder for a virus to gain access to a system, it
would also be harder to detect and kill.  You can't scan memory for a
virus if you get nailed by a segment violation whenever you look
outside your own data.  The only way to look for a virus would be to
ask the OS about it, and if a virus has tinkered with the OS, you're
in trouble.  Hopefully manufacturers will make incompatible machines
which look the same to legitimate programs (because the OS handles
everything) and viruses will die out of sheer UN*X-style hardware-base
fragmentation.

[ sig deleted ]

Kevin_Haney@NIHDCRT (11/16/90)

I am doing research for a paper on viruses in OS/2 systems.  I will be
covering OS/2-specific viruses (only theoretically at this point) as
well as DOS viruses on mixed DOS and OS/2 systems.  If anyone has any
information on this topic (real life experiences, references, etc.) I
would very much appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me at
khv@nihdcrt on Bitnet.  Questions of interest concern the possibility
of DOS viruses infecting and corrupting a system when an infected
program is run in the DOS box of OS/2.  Are only some types of DOS
viruses capable of doing this?  Is the damage different from what
would occur on a DOS machine.  Is it possible for DOS memory-resident
viruses to activate in the DOS box?  Thanks in advance!

c-rossgr@uunet.uu.net (11/20/90)

>From:    Kevin_Haney@NIHDCRT
>
>I am doing research for a paper on viruses in OS/2 systems.  I will be
>covering OS/2-specific viruses (only theoretically at this point) as
>well as DOS viruses on mixed DOS and OS/2 systems.

<enter tongue in check mode>

Gee, Kevin: one can look upon viruses as the most efficient means to
spread data amoung a population of users.  It is well known that the
most efficient means for a spread of data amoungst the OS/2 population
would be for one user of OS/2 to hand the data disk to the other OS/2
user.

<enter normal mode>  - Oh no!

Ross M. Greenberg
- - representing self