[comp.virus] Is this a virus? Help!

rem@cs.bu.edu (Robert E. Mee) (11/17/90)

I recently noticed what seems to be a trojan on my PC. I notice two
files in my root directories (c and d) they have eight character
filenames (ex: 111E340A and 111E340F).  They are only displayed when I
type "dir | more" in my root directory. The file names change (as well
as the creation date) every time I iterate the command. The files are
0 length. They do not exist when I try to delete them. I am guessing
that they take on their new names after the directory listing is
taken. I have tried stripping out autoexec.bat and config.sys to
eliminate the possibility that they are some sort of work file created
by some memory resident program but they persist.  I Have also tried
doing a floppy boot (write protected) and attempt to do the directory
but no good. I am not a regular reader of comp.virus but I intend to
do so more regularly. If you know anything about this syndrome, please
help. Post if it's easier but mail if this is something easy to
eliminate or just some silly anomaly about DOS.

Thanks,
Rob

Robert Mee  ...!harvard!bu-cs!rem  rem%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa  rem@bu-cs

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (11/20/90)

rem@cs.bu.edu (Robert E. Mee) writes:
> I recently noticed what seems to be a trojan on my PC. I notice two
> files in my root directories (c and d) they have eight character
> filenames (ex: 111E340A and 111E340F).  They are only displayed when I
> type "dir | more" in my root directory. The file names change (as well

Dos fakes redirection pipes by creating a temporary file on the disk,
and writing to it.  Newer versions of dos have a function to make a
temporary file.  It is created from the time and date stamp, and is a
hex number.  When you do a dir | more, Dos creates a scratch file to
put the output of dir into.  More then takes that, and apparently uses
a scratch file or perhaps Dos creates 2 scratch files.  In any case,
it is a standard feature of DOS, and not to worry.

Cheers
Woody

alarky@aragorn.csee.lehigh.edu (Dr. Arthur Larky-84068) (11/20/90)

rem@cs.bu.edu wants to know if the files which show up when he does
  dir | more
are a virus?  No, they are evidence of the difference between Unix and
MSDOS.  The "|" is a "pipe" between two programs, passing the output
of one into the input of the other.  In Unix, the pipe is handled
somewhere inside the system; in MSDOS, it is handled by re-directing
the output into a temporary file and then re-directing the temporary
file into the next program.  Unfortunately, MSDOS has a tendency to
leave the temporary files lying around.  This is especially true if
you abort the more output with a ^C.  When you own a dog, you have to
be prepared to use a "pooper-scooper" occasionally!

Art Larky
alarky@scarecrow.csee.lehigh.edu
alarky@aragorn.csee.lehigh.edu
  Disclaimers re:Lehigh University apply.