[comp.virus] Response to various comments

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (11/27/90)

>From:    Herbert Lin <HLIN@NAS.BITNET>
>In a recent msg, someone said that a "stealth" virus could evade
>checksum and CRC checks.  Can anyone tell me how this is done?

Basically, "stealth" viruses go resident in memory and trap the
interrupts used by DOS. Then, whenever a file is requested, the virus
checks to see if the file is infected. If so, the virus code is
stripped off and the original file is presented. Nothing magic is done
to defeat checksums. Of course, the fact that the virus goes resident
is detectable, usually just by recording the CHKDSK memory return.

- --------------------------
In issue 184 and in a VALERT-L posting I wrote concerning the DataLock/920
PC virus:

>Each time an .EXE file is executed, it
>will increase in size by 920 bytes. The virus will only infect a file
>once but will infect any .EXE executed.

I must apologise for the poor English. This virus will only infect an
EXE ONCE (an algorithm is used to place a signature in the file
header) adding 920 bytes to the file. No "stealth" mechanisms are
used.

>From:    William C Tom <wct1@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
>*AND*, more importantly, how can I get rid of "Stoned" ??  Is there
>a virus-killer program available ?

McAfee's CLEAN will work or you can copy the original partition table
on a hard disk back to sector 1 (I believe it is stored in sector 7)
using DEBUG. On a floppy, simple replacement of the boot sector will
render the virus harmless though some data/executables may be
corrupted. (how fast can you press two keys and change floppies ?)

>From:    p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org!David.Hobbs@uafhp.uark.edu (David Hobbs)
>Subject: Sunday virus description? (PC)

The SUNDAY virus is a JERUSALEM derivative that goes resident as a
20xx byte un-nammed TSR. On Sundays the virus will print a message and
delete (undeletable with several utilities) programs executed. A
mistake in the code in one varient keeps it from ever triggering but
all infect both .COM (once) and .EXE (each time run) programs.

Again, Patricia Hoffman's VSUM (currently VSUM9011.ZIP) should be
required reading for VIRUS-L participants.