[comp.virus] Any news on the SCANV trojan?

ELEE4CZ@jetson.uh.edu (J.K. Meddahi) (11/28/90)

I read a couple of postings last week that mentionned Trojans in the
zip files SCANV68 and SCANV70. I was expecting more reactions to these
two messages, but nothing got posted. Does that mean that this was an
unfounded rumor? If not, I'd like to know if these infected files
originated from McAfee or if somebody fiddled with the files somewhere
in the distribution chain.

Thanks for any information you could share on this.

Karim

Bitnet: elee4cz@judy
Internet: elee4cz@jane.uh.edu

s37775d@taltta.hut.fi (Pandy (A. Holmberg)) (11/30/90)

ELEE4CZ@jetson.uh.edu (J.K. Meddahi) writes:
>I read a couple of postings last week that mentionned Trojans in the
>zip files SCANV68 and SCANV70. I was expecting more reactions to these
>two messages, but nothing got posted. Does that mean that this was an
>unfounded rumor?

	The answer is NO: Here is an article by Nir Klar, where he explains
	his problems with SCANV68:

   Date : 18-Sep-90 22:27
   From : Nir Klar
Subject : scanv68 is a trojan

Hi Users,
I got a file called scanv68.zip (29248 bytes) that contained a file called
scan.com (63526 bytes). When I run it nothing really happened but after I
tried to run several other programs with no success I got some message about
SADAM HOUSAIN ! and so on.
* When I run it on my hard disk it filled the rest of the disk with the same
prog. (or just claimed it did).
* Info: date of scan.com is 10 aug 90
        time 15:55:62
        crc dco62f1a
* scan ver 66 did not detect any virus on it !

IT CAN BE A MODIFIED VER AND/OR TROJAN AND/OR VIRUS !!!!!!

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE !!!!!

                                                Hope I helped
                                                     Nir Klar

- --- RA 0.04a via TBU DemonTasker
 * Origin: > The Black Universe BBS - Setting New Standards < (2:403/139)

	So be careful everybody. The latest official version of SCANV
	is today SCANV67C!!!!!!

	/pandy

- --
"I'm dreaming of a white christmas"