[comp.virus] More V & S

padgett%tccslr.dnet@uvs1.orl.mmc.com (Padgett Peterson) (11/30/90)

>From:    "Jan C. Zawadzki" <S72UZAW@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
>Subject: Sunday V. in Turbo C 2.00: is false alarm possible? (PC)

Yes, and can be triggered by several actions. It is not common though. We
just had a badly confused machine report the WHALE. Since a check of memory
came up clean and the flagged files had not grown after a cold boot, our
tech was able find a bad RAM chip that was causing the erratic operation.
PPROPER TRAINING OF TECHNICAL PEOPLE IS ESSENTIAL (i know, it's not polite to
shout).

FYI, the SUNDAY is a Jerusalem varient, .COM and .EXE files grow, and it goes
resident as a conventional TSR, unnamed, and occupies slightly over 2k in
memory.

>From:    Marc TARDIF <S004@HECMTL01.BITNET>
>Subject: Washing machine (PC)

This is an old "joke" file and is harmless by itself. Being a .COM file it
is easily infected and this may be where two of the infections came from. The
STONED is a boot sector infector and can (officially) only be contracted by
booting with an infected floppy in drive A. My guess is that someone
deliberately infected your machine since three-on-a-disk is odd to say the
least.

>From:    "Otto.Stolz" <RZOTTO@DKNKURZ1.BITNET>
>Subject: Lateral Thinking

As usual, Otto has made excellent points & I would recommend re-reading his
posting. Why are there no/few mainframe viruses ? - Worms are easier to write.
Of course sometimes the viral writers go to absurd lengths to try to hide their
wares while leaving their backsides open to the winds. "Stealth" viruses are
a case in point: 4096, Flip, Whale, Joshi as well as Brain, Stoned,
Yale/Alameda all move the TOM making detection trivial, but few seem to bother
to look. (Ignorance is curable, though).

Part of the problem is that the virus writer just needs to come across an
interesting point in "The DOS Programmer's Reference" to come up with
something new, while we have to be aware of all the "holes" and undocumented
features in the O/S and below to be able to respond. The hardest thing in the
world to determine is what something is not.

The destruction I have had to correct from such viruses rarely stems from the
code itself, rather it is the mistakes in the code that cause the real trouble.
Fortunately, there seems to be little in the way of originality in malicious
software, however, since it is matched by an equal lack of observation by
most users (some time ago I came across a nice little trojan that had been
unnoticed by the people who had it on their PCs. It was 270k long and had been
written in Clipper) such irritants are widespread.

What makes it hard to sleep sometimes is not the viruses I know, but those
that I can imagine.

			Padgett - still 10 miles north of DisneyWorld