[comp.virus] Virus Scanning Products & PKZIP -AV Option.

oper1%drcv06.decnet@drcvax.af.mil (DRCV06::OPER1) (12/05/90)

> abvax!iccgcc.decnet.ab.com!herrickd@uunet.UU.NET writes:

>>>Does Authenticate Verification really do something that is not
>>>subvertible?  Forgive my skepticism.  What does it say it does?

> p1@rlyeh.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) writes:
>>>Subject: ZIPping with -AV (PC)

>>>      oper1%drcv06.decnet@drcvax.af.mil (DRCV06::OPER1)
>>>suggests that files could be garanteed safe if the authors used the -AV
>>>switch when ZIPping the files.  What is to prevent anyone from infecting
>>>the file, and then reZIPping the infected files ... with -AV on?

>>>A genuine, authentic infection ...

	Well I forgot a few things.
1).  PKZIP with -AV option is only available in the USA so only people
     with the USA version could ZIP files with this option.  I don't know
     if PKUNZIP (overseas) can handle ZIP files that have the AV on.

2).  The PKZIP that the VIRUS SCANNER author uses would be registered
     to him/her with his/her name and a unique Serial #.
     So even if someone unzipped the file and rezipped it with -AV
     option the name & serial number would be different.  So you
     could tell if the zip file was tampered with even if it
     was without malicous intent.

PS.  The PKZIP -AV option is only available to REGISTERED USERS.

Glenn.