[comp.virus] Norton Disc Doctor - *NO* virus

ccx020@cck.coventry.ac.uk (James Nash) (12/05/90)

I wrote:
>When running Norton Disc Doctor (from v5.0), I came across a very
>strange error message. Norton claimed to have "received" a message from
>the boot sector that went...
>
>	Your disk is knackered!
>
>	HA HA!!

Well, my suspicions have been calmed and I can say with 99% certainty
that this is _not_ a virus. Thanks for all the replies I received
which were helpful and prompt; particularly Tris Orendorff. This list
deserves its good reputation.

The "knackered" message was put on my PC (I believe) by one of my
fun-loving colleagues in the custom message box that NDD II now has.
The machine that was trashing the disks that produced the error is
simply broken.

I can be (99%) certain that this is not a virus as I have been using
checksumming programs and string-searchers and neither have shown
anything over the past couple of weeks. I could not find the
"knackered" text anywhere on my hard disk after re-installing Norton
(which I did early on, i.e. I have never found it). All these from a
clean DOS disk too. Apologies to Peter Norton for suspecting his
package.

I also wrote:
> P.S. As far as I know, "knackered" is a peculiarly English swear word.
>      Is it prevalent in America??!?

Well, I found out that Australasia knows it but America doesn't. My
favourite suggestion for a 'nasty' message was "Your disk is toast!"
(especially the way I cook my toast).

- --
James Nash, Computing Services, Coventry Polytechnic, England
ccx020@uk.ac.cov.cck