[comp.virus] WDEF-A Response

asqe-y-v-ssi@stuttgart-emh1.army.mil (Dale Jones) (12/06/90)

I would like to comment on Mr. Ed Murphy's comment that -
"You can get rid of virus by rebuilding the Desktop on your
hard disk (which is where it resides)."

I also had problems with WDEF A on my MAC SE with 100mb Jasmine
backpack hard drive.  After following several messages I contacted <
coherent!dplatt@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dave Platt) > and he advised me to
reboot with a "clean" boot disk then run Disinfectant on the System
folder on the hard disk.  I then installed Disinfectant Protection and
now I know my hard disk is clean.  This also immediately notifies me
about a possible WDEF infection on any floppy I open.

I'm fairly new to the Mac side of the house but with my short
experience I discovered that rebuilding the Desktop did not
rid my hard disk of the WDEF virus.  To my surprise I discovered
that Norton Disk Dr. and SAM both notified me of a possible virus
however, they did not completely eradicate it from the System folder.
Maybe if I'd have booted from a virus free disk, then ran
Norton Disk Dr. or SAM I would have had the same results
as with Disinfectant.

Please be careful with your very broad statement of "You can get rid
of virus by rebuilding the Desktop on your
hard disk (which is where it resides)."

Dale Jones
Chief, Information Center, 589th Signal Company
Stuttgart Germany

jbotz@MHC.bitnet (12/07/90)

with regard to:

> VIRUS-L Digest   Thursday,  6 Dec 1990    Volume 3 : Issue 196
> Date:    Thu, 06 Dec 90 11:21:27 +0700
> From:    Dale Jones <asqe-y-v-ssi@stuttgart-emh1.army.mil>
> Subject: WDEF-A Response (Mac)

> I would like to comment on Mr. Ed Murphy's comment that -
> "You can get rid of virus by rebuilding the Desktop on your
> hard disk (which is where it resides)."

I agree with Mr. Ed Murphy.  You can get rid of the WDEF virus by
rebuilding the Desktop on your hard disk.  HOWEVER...  you have to
keep in mind that just inserting another (infected) floppy disk can
re-infect you.

The WDEF virus, and other implied-loader viruses which reside in the
Desktop file are probably the most infecectious disk-based viruses ever.
This is because merely inserting a disk can cause infection.  This makes
WDEF & MDEF the fastest spreading and most common viruses in the Mac world.
Fortunately they are easy to guard agains:  use the Freeware program
"Gatekeeper Aid" which can be run without "Gatekeeper" and can be used in
addition to most (all?) other virus protection programs.  Gatekeeper Aid
intercepts and removes WDEF & other Desktop-file implied loader viruses
on contact, ending the nuisance of this type of virus once and for all.

> I'm fairly new to the Mac side of the house but with my short
> experience I discovered that rebuilding the Desktop did not
> rid my hard disk of the WDEF virus.  To my surprise I discovered
> that Norton Disk Dr. and SAM both notified me of a possible virus
> however, they did not completely eradicate it from the System folder.
> Maybe if I'd have booted from a virus free disk, then ran
> Norton Disk Dr. or SAM I would have had the same results
> as with Disinfectant.

My guess  is that you were infected with two viruses (or more?) viruses,
or have other damage to your system which looks like an infection.  SAM
always identifies implied loader viruses and wouldn't notify you of a
"possible virus" when there's a WDEF infection, it'd inform you of a
"WDEF infection" -- unless you have an ancient version of SAM in wich case
it shouldn't notice a WDEF infection at all.

> Please be careful with your very broad statement of "You can get rid
> of virus by rebuilding the Desktop on your
> hard disk (which is where it resides)."

It's still true, but insufficient.  In the same digest your message was
published in, somebody else was saying how using virus disinfectant
programs is never enough in the PC world and that one should always
replace the files from backups.  Well, in the Mac world the opposite is
true... always use one of the leading virus removal programs, don't rely
on any other method.

It's been said before, here, and I'll repeat it.  THE way to deal with Mac
viruses is by using the EXCELLENT freeware programs Gatekeeper, Gatekeeper
Aid, and the latest version of Disinfectant and the Disinfectant INIT.  Only
a very exotic and brandnew virus could get past these, and the authors, who
deserve to be showered with medals have a track record of updating their
programs in record time -- usually within days of the isolation of a new
virus.

> Dale Jones
> Chief, Information Center, 589th Signal Company
> Stuttgart Germany

___________________________
Jurgen Botz, Academic Software Consultant
   Academic Computing                            internet: JBotz@MHC.bitnet
   Mount Holyoke College                              Compuserve: 70531,600
   South Hadley, MA 01075                               Voice: 413-538-2375

jalden@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joshua M. Alden) (12/08/90)

asqe-y-v-ssi@stuttgart-emh1.army.mil (Dale Jones) writes:
>Please be careful with your very broad statement of "You can get rid
>of virus by rebuilding the Desktop on your
>hard disk (which is where it resides)."
>
>Dale Jones
>Chief, Information Center, 589th Signal Company
>Stuttgart Germany

    I think the problem here is that you must re-build the Desktop and
then make sure the virus is not active in memory.  To do that, simply
re-start.  You CAN get rid of WDEF by re-building the Desktop; we do
it here all the time.  But WDEF is a persnickity little thing, and it
spreads quickly back to your hard drive from any floppies you have
that still have it, and from anyone else's infected floppy, all at the
insertion of the disk.

    We recommend GateKeeper Aid to our users.  It completely removes
WDEF whenever it sees it; no action on the part of the user is
necessary.  So you throw GateKeeper Aid in your System folder, re-boot,
and insert all your floppies once, and you know you haven't got WDEF,
and that you can't get it again as long as you've got GateKeeper Aid.

- -Josh Alden, Virus Consultant, User Services, Dartmouth College.
- --
 |Josh Alden, Consultant, Kiewit Computation Center | HB 48, Dartmouth College|
 |   Private mail: Joshua.Alden@dartmouth.edu       | Hanover, NH     03755   |
 |    Virus mail:   Virus.Info@dartmouth.edu        |      (802) 295-9073     |