[comp.virus] Novell virus?

hofmeist@cantor.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Thomas Hofmeister) (12/11/90)

I know a company which has strange problems under Novell:
They get lots of zeroes (=ASCII 48) into their ASCII-files where they
don't belong. In fact, in some files, one in 500 bytes gets corrupted in
such a way that bit number 4 gets set to 1. (So the 48 comes from
32 +16).
Might this be that there's something wrong with the
installation or is this phenomenon already known as a virus?
Excuse if this has been discussed on this group before, but
I'm new here.
- ----------------
Thomas Hofmeister,  hofmeist@cantor.informatik.uni-dortmund.de

C.Owen@qut.edu.au (12/13/90)

<hofmeist@cantor.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> (Thomas Hofmeister) writes:

>I know a company which has strange problems under Novell:
>They get lots of zeroes (=ASCII 48) into their ASCII-files where they
>don't belong. In fact, in some files, one in 500 bytes gets corrupted in
>such a way that bit number 4 gets set to 1. (So the 48 comes from
>32 +16).
>Might this be that there's something wrong with the
>installation or is this phenomenon already known as a virus?
>Excuse if this has been discussed on this group before, but
>I'm new here.

I don't know about the zero's, but the problem with bits sounds like
hardware.  We had a similar problem due to a flaky RAM chip in the
Ethernet card.  It only occurred when writing to the network, and
disappeared when the CPU clock speed was dropped 12MHz->6MHz.

Chris Owen                           | c_owen@qut.edu.au
Computer Based Education             | voice +61 7 223 2912
Queensland University of Technology  | FAX   +61 7 229 0874
Brisbane, Australia