[comp.virus] Musicbug virus

Collier@UNCAMULT.BITNET (John Collier) (12/11/90)

I was infected by te Music bug virus from an SVGA utility disk from
Taiwan that I got from my local dealer when I bought a new machine
from him.  The infection occurred when I accidentally booted the disk
in my old 286 (thankfully beloning to my employer).  It is now in the
shop, as it will not show signs of recognizing the CMOS.  This might
be a coinsidence.  In any case, I got SCAN71, and it does not dectect
the virus.  Mapping with PCHSELL shows the MusicBug v1.06, MacroSoft
Corp message in sector 52 of disk 1 and in sector 30 of uitility disk
2.  This virus is there.  And Scan71 doesn't find it, opinions to the
contrary.

John Collier COLIIER at UNCAMULT.BITNET

CCMH@MVS.MCGILL.CA (Michael Head) (12/12/90)

Using SCAN 6.1B71 on randomly selected,file-protected,
previously unopened sets of COMBASE or SVGA UTILITY
disks 1 and 2 I get :
"Found Music Boot Virus [Muboot] in Boot Sector"

       Michael Head
   e:mail - ccmh@mvs.mcgill.ca   |    McGill Computing Center
   bitnet - ccmh@mcgillvs.bitnet |    805 Sherbrooke St. West
   voice  - (514) 398-3707       |    Montreal,Quebec

rebill02%ULKYVX.BITNET@jade.Berkeley.EDU (Russell E. Billings) (12/20/90)

CCMH@MVS.MCGILL.CA (Michael Head) writes:
>Using SCAN 6.1B71 on randomly selected,file-protected,
>previously unopened sets of COMBASE or SVGA UTILITY
>disks 1 and 2 I get :
>"Found Music Boot Virus [Muboot] in Boot Sector"

The system I bought and mentioned a short time ago on VIRUS-L came
with a slightly different set of disks.  The description of the
COMBASE disk that is infected exactly matches what I received with my
system, but my VGA utilities came on a single HD disk.

The VGA disk is labeled "PBVGA-MULTI Utility Disk 16 bit VGA"
underneath the Packard Bell logo.  I have run Scan 6.1b71 against both
the PBVGA and the COMBASE disks that I have and found no infection.

Idle Speculation : There are at least two different series of the
Packmate 386sx machines - the major difference being in the size of
the hard drive installed.  Could the 40 Mbyte systems have the problem
while the 86 Mbyte systems do not?  Was I just lucky?

Russell E. Billings
- --
  BITNET:   rebill02@ulkyvx.bitnet   UUCP: ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rebill02