[comp.virus] Viruses for the holidays & admin note

krvw@cert.sei.cmu.edu (Kenneth R. van Wyk) (12/20/90)

While shopping for holiday gifts for my nephews and niece, I found a
toy called Virus Warriors (I could be wrong on the exact name, but
that's the gist of it).  I'm not making this up!  The box said
something to the extent of, "A top secret government lab has
accidentally released evil computer viruses.  Their goal is to take
over all the world's computers...even YOURS!"  The toy was this
sinister looking doll with "computer circuitry" on its back.  Again,
I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP!

Indeed, there is gold in them hills.

Also, it was noted that the SECURITY mailing list at Rutgers is also
gatewayed to the misc.security Usenet newsgroup.  So, those who get
the news may want to read the group rather than subscribe to the list.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk

P.S. No, I didn't buy it.  :-)

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (12/21/90)

<krvw@cert.sei.cmu.edu> writes:
>While shopping for holiday gifts for my nephews and niece, I found a
>toy called Virus Warriors (I could be wrong on the exact name, but
>that's the gist of it).  I'm not making this up!  The box said
>something to the extent of, "A top secret government lab has
>accidentally released evil computer viruses.  Their goal is to take
>over all the world's computers...even YOURS!"  The toy was this
>sinister looking doll with "computer circuitry" on its back.  Again,
>I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP!

I saw them last weekend when I was out Christmas shopping. My first
response was "Some people will sink to _any_ depth to make a buck"; my
second response was "Why didn't _I_ think of that?"

 Sean Malloy                                  | I don't blame Congress. If I
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center | had $600 billion at my
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     | disposal, I'd be irresponsible,
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        | too.