[comp.virus] WP viri and bugs

p1@rlyeh.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (12/23/90)

GOODWIN@SMCVAX.BITNET (Dave Goodwin) writes:

> I have seen several mentions of possible virii on WordPerfect.  Let me
> add my two cents...

Oh, how true.

I remember a submission some time back that asked about files which,
regardless of document length, only stored a few bytes of garbage.  I
recently had that happen, and I'm sure it's just a bug.

The problem I encountered was that Word Perfect version 5.0, when
saving to 4.2 format (one of the options under <ctrl>F5) will save an
eight byte file *and erase the previous version, not just rename the
file* if the "backup" options are turned on.

Let me say that, while Word Perfect is *still* currently my editor
(and disk manager:) of choice, the discovery of this bug lost me four
daus work on the reviews of FPROT and Anti-Virus Plus. :(