[comp.virus] Virus Protection

JHSangster@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (09/30/89)

It seems to me that this whole problem will be largely solved when and
only when the vendors all start "signing" their software with a
digital signature based on public key cryptography.  At least then any
one who wishes to check a program for authenticity need only check to
see that it passes the digital signature check with the alleged
vendor's public key.  Of course you also have to know that the
checking program hasn't been tampered with, the hardware hasn't been
tampered with, etc., etc., but at least we would have a starting point
for software authentication.

The signature approach and the use of signature checking seem to me
the only way to make definitive progress against viruses.  All other
approaches are dependent on details of the viruses code, which as we
have seen change with time and with each new virus.  Digital
signatures will let us check that at least a trusted source has put
its signature on the code, and that it has not been altered since
then.  Software developers will then have to get serious about
preventing viruses from creeping in at the factory if they are not
already serious.

If members of the appropriate software standards body are listening, I
hope they give consideration to such a standard ASAP.  The standard
should allow for both existing and future developers as well as private
individuals (hobbyists who may develop freeware) to have a unique public
key.  Then software users who neglect to check the signature use the
software at their own risk, but if they experience damage and can prove
it, they will be in a position to apply some heat to the vendor who
provided the signed, but infected, software.

The ideal way to implement checking would be to build it into the
loader.  This may become feasible if a worldwide standard is adopted.
Meanwhile checking could be implemented in a way which did not require
ROM modifications.  The standard could provide for inclusion of the
vendor's public key and the resulting signature in the format of any
loadable file.

- -John Sangster SPHINX Technologies, Incorporated (617) 235-8801 / P.O.
Box 81287, Wellesley Hills, MA 02181

S1CH@SDSUMUS.BITNET (Brian Piersel) (10/04/89)

I'm a new owner of an IBM AT compatible computer, and so I am not
very familiar with the various anti-virus programs. Could someone
explain to me how these work, and/or recommend one to get? Respond
directly to me, if possible. Thanks in advance...

 ------------------------------
 Brian Piersel
 BITNET:    S1CH@SDSUMUS            ICBM: 96.50W 44.20N
 INTERNET:  S1CH%SDSUMUS.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU
      (The Internet address doesn't always work)
 "Live long and prosper."

steve@ucsd.Edu (Steve Misrack) (10/10/89)

I was wondering if somebody could tell me where I can find program
to detect machines infected with viruses.  I would appreciate
knowing where and how to get these programs.

Thanks in advance,
	Steve

smisrack@ucsd.edu

[Ed. Start by taking a look at VIRUSCAN, available via anonymous FTP
from the comp.virus archive sites (including ms.uky.edu).]

Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu (12/21/90)

I can't say that we have tested all the products on the market, nor
done a side-by-side test of better known products, although we are
intending to set up a test site in January (during the break when some
time will be available for all concerned).  Nonetheless, here is a
preliminary report, which represents my impressions and should not be
construed as an official position in any way, shape or form.

One lab was constantly plagued with Yankee Doodle even though they used
Scan and Vshield.  The problem was that the start volumes (3Com LAN)
could not have Vshield installed on them.  Once F-Prot's F-DRIVER.SYS
was installed (it can be installed on start volumes), the problem
disappeared.  The lab has been virus free for two weeks, whereas before
there were daily occurences of infections.  Another lab reported that F-
Prot identified an infection of the Stoned virus while Scan did not (I
suspect that the person using it may have forgotten the /M in the
command line).  There was also a complaint that VShield slows down the
boot up process considerably, while F-DRIVER.SYS is hardly noticeable.

For institutions, the McAfee product is expensive.  For educational
institutions F-Prot costs $1 per station.  From our last discussion on
the matter, it appears that F-Prot will be our first line of defense,
(we are considering a site license rather than having each lab invest in
the product) with a suggestion that various individual labs may want to
invest in other products such as Scan or VI-Spy (the ethics of a single
copy user for multiple stations has not really been addressed).  The one
negative comment about F-Prot is that the updates appear to be less
frequent than one might wish.

One final comment about individuals checking their disks.  I installed a
Virus Check menu item on hard disks (visible on the first screen that
comes up) and on the network menus for those machines without hard
disks.  Nonetheless, the hard disks periodically get "stoned", in part
because students use their own programs and therefore tend to boot up
from their disks, but also because they neither believe that they are
the ones carrying the infection, nor wish to spend the time to check
their disks.  They will do so only if they are warned that a program is
infected.

May this prove useful to others.

MKessler@HUM.SFSU.EDU

sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) (12/21/90)

Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu wrote in VIRUS-L volume 205:
> Subject: Virus protection (PC)
>
> [stuff deleted]...
> The one
> negative comment about F-Prot is that the updates appear to be less
> frequent than one might wish.

  One other negative comment about F-Prot is:

F-driver.sys does not check drive A for any possible boot sector virus
when we warm boot the machine.  The V-Shield does check drive A for
any possible boot sector virus and will denied the warm boot if there
is any boot sector virus in the floppy drive A.  Hopefully frisk will
implement this for his next version of F-PROT.  It is a great program.

- --
         /\ 		Merry Christmas
        /* \
       /  * \                    and
      / *    \
     /      * \                Happy New Year
    / *    *   \
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^            sulistio@futon.sfsu.edu
        |||   	            sulistio@sutro.sfsu.edu
        |||                 sulistio@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu
        |||                 UUCP mail : mul@wet.UUCP
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (01/04/91)

sulistio@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) writes:
>Michael_Kessler.Hum@mailgate.sfsu.edu wrote in VIRUS-L volume 205:

>> The one negative comment about F-Prot is that the updates appear to be less
>> frequent than one might wish.

Well, yes, I admit I send out updates less frequently than would be desirable,
but I expect to send out a new version every 4 weeks or so in the future.  The
next version (1.14) should be ready any day now - I am busy adding routines to
detect and remove all the viruses I received at the conference in Hamburg.

>  One other negative comment about F-Prot is:
>
>F-driver.sys does not check drive A for any possible boot sector virus
>when we warm boot the machine.  The V-Shield does check drive A for
>any possible boot sector virus and will denied the warm boot if there
>is any boot sector virus in the floppy drive A.  Hopefully frisk will
>implement this for his next version of F-PROT.  It is a great program.

Sounds like a good idea - I am not sure I will have time to add it in
version 1.14, but if not then it will certainly appear in the next
version after that.

- -frisk