[comp.virus] WP 8 byte bug

p1@rlyeh.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (01/10/91)

p1@rlyeh.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) writes:

> The problem I encountered was that Word Perfect version 5.0, when
> saving to 4.2 format (one of the options under <ctrl>F5) will save an
> eight byte file *and erase the previous version, not just rename thee

Since I posted this I have been in touch with Word Perfect.  They
have, apparently, not had any major reports of this type.  Also *I
have made some error* or this bug is intermittent.  I swear I
reproduced it ten times the day I found it, but I haven't been able to
do it since.  Some other option?  A different file origin?  I don't
know.

Anyway, to some up everything: 1) no, we still don't have any evidence
for a Word Perfect specific virus; 2) operator errors or disk
corruption can affect document files and 3) "there are some programs,
Dr. Slade, man was not meant to delve into!"  :-)