[comp.virus] VM, MS-DOS and Virex

p1@rlyeh.wimsey.bc.ca (Rob Slade) (01/10/91)

R3EJD@AKRONVM.BITNET (Evelyn Duncan) writes:

> A friend of mine has an IBM-compatible computer and wants to dial into
> the VM system here, but he needs a program that will prevent viruses

Are you saying that he is worried about getting an infection, in some
way, on his PC from an IBM mainframe running VM?  If so, he can stop
worrying, for some time at least.  I assume he would be using some
kind of terminal emulation package rather than being linked in some
sort of network situation, but the worst that could happen is to act
as a carrier for some sort of "mail virus/worm".  That would still be
the case whether or not he used a terminal in place of a PC, and
whether or not he called in from outside, and would not affect his PC
at all.  (And in any case, it would be your problem.  :-) )

> Virex.  He called Virex's 1-800 number, but it was disconnected.

The address and phone numbers I have for Microcom (makers of Virex, for
the Mac, and Virex-PC) are:
3700-B Lyckan Parkway
P. O. Box 51816
Durham, NC  27717
919-490-1277
fax 919-490-6672

They also have an office in England.

A brief observation: Ross Greenburg, who wrote Flu-Shot, also wrote
Virex-PC, and the scanner portion, VPCSCAN is *very* fast in
operation.  The documentation for the product is well written and
helpful.

You might also try the F-PROT and SCAN shareware protection products.