[comp.virus] nVIR-like resources...

APP@CORNELLA.BITNET (Alan Pierce) (01/05/91)

I'm somewhat new to the world of Macs, so I hope someone can shed some
light for me.  A user recently reported a virus on their Mac SE.
Using SAM 2.0, I scanned the volumn and received the following
messages:

    Examined file 'System' in folder 'System Folder'.
    Warning!  This file contains nVIR-like resources(nVIR).
    It was last modified on 9/17/90 at 3:57 PM.

The most interesting thing is we never purchased the machine until
November and I installed the system software that came with it.
Thinking I may have an infected system disk, I scanned all 4 (v6.0.5)
disks and came up empty.  Next, I re-installed the system and scanned
the volume again--same messages.  I hope someone here can help me.
Either post to this list(as I am an avid reader, or respond directly.
Thank you.

Alan Pierce
Technical Consultant    <-- Huh?
Division of Nutritional Sciences
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

APP@CORNELLA -- Bitnet
APP@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU -- Internet

kevin@crash.cts.com (Kevin Hill) (01/09/91)

 I beleive that a way to "vaccinate" a Mac against nVir is to create a
resource with the nVir type and when nVir tries to infect it, it bumps
into the nVir resource already there and fails.
 If I am wrong, please correct me everyone.. Thanks.

pasrich@boole.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Puneet Pasrich/;093091;eeugrad) (01/10/91)

kevin@crash.cts.com (Kevin Hill) writes:
> I beleive that a way to "vaccinate" a Mac against nVir is to create a
>resource with the nVir type and when nVir tries to infect it, it bumps
>into the nVir resource already there and fails.
> If I am wrong, please correct me everyone.. Thanks.

You are correct in stating that you can "vaccinate" against the nVir
by creating dummy resources and pasting them into each application.
However, this will not be met with a favorable response from your
favorite anti-viral program.  I'd recommend not creating these dummy
resources, unless for whatever reason, you are not allowed to use a
program like Disinfectant or SAM.

- --
== Puneet Pasrich ============ Internet:  pasrich@seas.ucla.edu ==============
== Karate Kid ================ Macs rule, and that's all there is to it ======
== In Capitalism, man exploits man. In Communism, it's the other way around. =