[comp.virus] Apple //gs "Die!" Virus

davidbrierley@lynx.northeastern.edu (01/07/91)

     This appeared on Info-Apple:

Date: 6 Jan 91 21:06:19 GMT
From: pasteur!euler.Berkeley.EDU!benji@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Benji Rudiak-Gould
)
Subject: Computer virus!
Sender: info-apple-request@apple.com
To: info-apple@apple.com

I am posting this for a friend with a IIGS who recently fell victim to a
virus attack.  The symptoms (I think they were in this order):

1)  A pop-up window appeared in the Finder with the message, "Die!"

2)  When he tried to open his text viewer DA, it froze and the words "Ha!
    Ha! Ha!" appeared all over it.

3)  Now, just about everything is bombing.

He has done a complete reformat of his hard drive and restored from
backups, but the virus was still there.  He has Lode Runner, and
downloaded the L. R.  virus killer (while he still could), but hasn't
tried it yet.

These symptoms may be slightly skewed, since they were told to me quickly
by phone.  Can someone identify this virus?  Thank you thank you thank you
for your help.

- --                       \\  I think, therefore I am.     |___|___|
 Disclaimer:
Benji Rudiak-Gould       //  I am, therefore I think.     |_|___|_|  Take with
benji@euler.berkeley.edu \\  Therefore, I think I am.     |___|___|  a grain

ccsjaas@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Julian Sims) (01/12/91)

A dangerous new virus found at the City University.

Article from computer unit newsletter Xmas 1990

A "new" virus that originated in Spain, appears to be very infectious
and, after a set number of boot-ups will completely wipe the hard
disk.  It does not reside in the areas where viruses have bee found to
date, so it is not found by any of the detection programs at City.