[comp.virus] Stonned reoccurence of reformatted hard drive

C09615SJ@WUVMD.BITNET (01/18/91)

>From:    "David.M.Chess" <CHESS@YKTVMV.BITNET>

>Hm, interesting.  The Stoned infects the master boot record
>(synonymous with "partition table") on the first physical hard drive
>(BIOS drive id "80" hex).  In your case, that's the master boot record
>on the 80Mb hard disk.  The master boot record (and therefore the
>partition table) are stored at the very bottom of the disk, lower than
>any of the partitions (E F G and H).

   Ooops.  Yes I found all this out after I sent the message.  I am,
unfortunately, BIOS illiterate.  But the poliferation of viruses here
at Washington University in St. Louis is forcing me to learn more
every day.  It was a "shoot from the hip" answer to very real effect
which I outlined.

>Did you test whether or not, after booting from a clean floppy and
>then switching to E: and back to A:, the virus was actually *active*
>(infecting new diskettes), as well as being in memory?  My guess would

No we did not.  Oops again.

[stuff deleted]

>active virus from a "ghost" of the virus that just happens to be
>sitting in a buffer somewhere, never running).  The only way the usual
>Stoned virus can get control is if it's present on the boot record or
>the disk or diskette that the system is booted from.

  Ummmm... I'm not sure I understand what a "ghost" virus implies, we
were never able to actually clean it off so I don't know how it could
have become a "ghost".  Also there was at least enough of it to set of
McAfee's SCAN program.

                                                Jon
Jon Spinner
Washington University