[comp.virus] Hepnet or Wank worm

andrew.mckendrick@f854.n681.fido.oz.au (Andrew McKendrick) (01/23/91)

Having not had access to a DEC mainframe and ACSnet for a year or so,
I've lost track of what was happening with the Hepnet/Wank worm that had
been reported to be screaming around mainframe nets.
Can anyone update me on what has happened to that worm??

Andrew Mckendrick

[Ed. Two versions of WANK were seen on SPAN and other DECNET networks
in October 1989.  Both versions seemed to run their course within a
couple of days.  CERT put out an advisory (filename
CA-89:04.decnet.wank.worm) on October 17, 1989 - available by
anonymous FTP on cert.sei.cmu.edu in pub/cert_advisories.  The
advisory provides an analysis of the WANK worms.]

- --- LED ST 0.10
 * Origin: 520StE... Is Modula-2 wirth it?. (3:681/854.3)