[comp.virus] New virus 1586?

csas400@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (01/23/91)

Hello,

        I'm new to this group and I'm not familiar with the protocols in
anouncing the discovery(sic.) of a new virus...but here goes anyway.

Virus attributes:
        1. IBM pc/xt/at/ps2
        2. Changes files date/time.
        3. Changes files size.
                filename        noVir           Vir     Difference
                command.com     37637           39223   1586
                simcity.exe    191845          193431   1586
                share.exe       10301           11879   1578
        4. Hooks to following interupts:
                22H     Terminate     xxxx:0147
                24H     Critical err  xxxx:05Bf
                2EH     Execute cmd   xxxx:02B8
                FFH     User def.     0002:F000
        5. Due to the interupts it attaches to during any program
                termination, disk error, or DOS command the virus
                finds the first *.com or *.exe file in the directory
                not attacked and ataches itself and also checks to see
                if it's active in memory if not it installs itself.
        6. Attaches to .com and .exe (.bin not tested)
        7. Can be identified in executables with following hex codes.
                0E B0 00 E6 20 B8 24 35 CD 21  (taken from virus)
If someone (reputable [ie. has written vir.pro. programs before]) would like
to tackle this hobbie of killing and detection of this virus I'll send you a
copy.

Better yet if someone has alread done so TELL ME WHERE TO FIND IT.  I'm
desperate for a solution; deletion is (to me) not a good solution.

                                   Jeffrey E. Hundstad
                                   AS/400 System Administrator
                                   Mankato State University
                                   j3gum@vax1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU
                                   CSAS400@vax1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU
                                   vax1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU (134.29.1.1)

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (01/26/91)

csas400@vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:
>        3. Changes files size.
>                filename        noVir           Vir     Difference
>                command.com     37637           39223   1586
>                simcity.exe    191845          193431   1586
>                share.exe       10301           11879   1578

From this information it is clear the length of the virus is not 1586
bytes, nor 1578, but rather 1575 bytes.  The reason is as follows.  In
almost all cases, a variable length increase means the virus first
pads the program to make the length a multiple of 16 bytes, before
appending the virus.

Assuming this is the case, we get

             before padding   after padding   after infection   difference
command.com      37637            37648            39223           1575
simcity.exe     191845           191856           193431           1575
share.exe        10301            10304            11879           1575

A side effect is that disinfectors may not be able to restore infected
files 100% - they may contain 1-15 garbage bytes at the end, after the
virus has been removed.This will not affect the operation of the
program in any way, unless it does a check of its own integrity.

>If someone (reputable [ie. has written vir.pro. programs before]) would like
>to tackle this hobbie of killing and detection of this virus I'll send you a
>copy.

Well - I would be heppy to add detection/removal of this virus to my
F-PROT program - assuming it does not use any really complex
encryption, it should not take more than a couple of hours to have the
disinfector ready.

But be careful in who you send the virus to - there are not more than
10-12 people I would send it to.

- -frisk

- --
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion
E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801  |